Different voltages in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is the insulation system of the beldon cable just 300 volts? I am not familiar with that product. Most of what we deal with has a minimum insulation rating of 600 volts. The article of interest here is 300.3(C).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Most Belden cables are manufactured for low voltage, signal, or class 2 operation which is why Don was asking about their application.

realolman

I am glad to see this thread... I am faced with this sort of thing all the time, and I try to do it right ...

If I'm reading 300.3 C right, It seems to me that the OP could certainly have 277 volts on any of the conductors right along with 5 vdc. (or less) on the next

I am not sure about any of this, and I hope to get some definitive answer before this thread is done.

I'm wondering if you could have 480v on the cables... Is the maximum circuit voltage phase to phase or phase to ground... like I've read on this forum before... " I got hit with 240" .....seems unlikely

Fortune

Different voltages same conduit, more info

Different voltages same conduit, more info

More information, the beldon is 300v rated carring a signal between control panel plc's. The tray cable is used for control (dry contacts) between the same control panels 120v max. (e-stop, alarms, ect.) Another question that has come up is the tempture rating ? The xxhw in the tray cable is rated 90C and the beldons are 60C is this a problem ? Thanks for your help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Since the lowest-rated insulation system has a voltage rating that exceeds the highest voltage appled to any of the conductors, all these conductors can share a raceway. The difference in the temperature ratings does not come into play.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If I'm reading 300.3 C right, It seems to me that the OP could certainly have 277 volts on any of the conductors right along with 5 vdc. (or less) on the next ...
Maybe, maybe not. It is likely that the rules in Article 725 apply. 300.3(C) even has an informational note that tells you to look at 725.136(A) if the low voltage conductors are Article 725, Class 2 or 3 circuits. There are even restictions on mixing Article 725 Class 1 conductors with power conductors. 725.48

realolman

Maybe, maybe not. It is likely that the rules in Article 725 apply. 300.3(C) even has an informational note that tells you to look at 725.136(A) if the low voltage conductors are Article 725, Class 2 or 3 circuits. There are even restictions on mixing Article 725 Class 1 conductors with power conductors. 725.48

I saw that after I posted... I would say the belden cable with the PLC circuit would fall under 725.41(A)(4), so it shouldn't be in the same conduit w the 110v

Status
Not open for further replies.