Recept Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok if I have (4) 20A duplexes spaced about 110' apart being run in conduit and the homeruns must in #10(THHN). How do I know/calculate if #12's would be ok from duplex to duplex? I know there must be a distance where #12's will not be sufficient.

They are being fed from a 120/208 panel and a 20a circuit breaker.

THANKS VERY MUCH

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Do you know the actual load?
(4) 20a recpt being fed from a 20A breaker.
That doesn't answer the question. You can certainly calculate this as though you had a single load of 20 amps at the end of a 400 foot run. I see that you did, and that the results were not satisfactory. But that is not an accurate model of the installation.

For starters, what will be plugged into the receptacles? If you don't know, then I think it sufficient to assume that (1) The total load is 16 amps (80% of 20), and that (2) It is shared equally amongst the four receptacles. Therefore, you can model a 16 amp load that is 100 feet from the source, a 12 amp load that is 200 feet from the source, an 8 amp load that is 300 feet from the source, and a 4 amp load that is 400 feet from the source. If you do that, then the numbers are not as bad. I ran the numbers, and got from 5-8% with #12 AWG, and 3-5% with #10.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

That doesn't answer the question. You can certainly calculate this as though you had a single load of 20 amps at the end of a 400 foot run. I see that you did, and that the results were not satisfactory. But that is not an accurate model of the installation.

For starters, what will be plugged into the receptacles? If you don't know, then I think it sufficient to assume that (1) The total load is 16 amps (80% of 20), and that (2) It is shared equally amongst the four receptacles. Therefore, you can model a 16 amp load that is 100 feet from the source, a 12 amp load that is 200 feet from the source, an 8 amp load that is 300 feet from the source, and a 4 amp load that is 400 feet from the source. If you do that, then the numbers are not as bad. I ran the numbers, and got from 5-8% with #12 AWG, and 3-5% with #10.

THanks very much, that was really good info. I appreciate it very much. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.