Multiple Loads on one feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

I have run into an existing system that is to be moved to a new location. The system is a monorail system with electrically operated hoists. There are multiple hoists that can move around on the monorail and when they reach their destination the hoist plugs into a power point that is located overhead to power the hoist. There are 24 power points that all share a common feed, The power points are all jumped together (daisy chained) from one power point to the next. The individual power points have know overcurrent protection or disconnecting means other than that of the main feed breaker.

I know 230.71 references a maximum number of disconnects for service entrance conductors would this apply in this instance or is there another reference you could refer me too.

dcheser

30-Amp disconnect switch with 16-amp fuses.

I realize this is not service entrance but this is also not good practice and I can't imagine it's Legal per the NEC either. Just need a code reference to show the owner its not ok to put back in this way.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Why is this not a good practice?
What would make it non conforming?
What is the load of the hoist?
How many hoist are to be installed?

How many receptacles do you plug into at your house; of those how many draw current?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
depending on your answers to Sameguy's post, it may be a perfectly legal install. The plugs are probably legimate disconnects and as long as your 16 amp fuses meet the GFSC requirements for the individual hoist, it may be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.