What is 'NOT' included on code minimum ? ?? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

I was asked to bid against a house for $3/ft for "CODE MINIMUM".

I asked him " do you want a garbage disposal?? or a ceiling fan? are ALL appliances GAS??? Are you installing an Air conditioner??

WHAT IS NOT REQUIRED for code minimum?? most things are taken for granted that they are required.

Is it not required to have an A/C----- Heater ,yes,. A/C-no
garbage disposal- no
vanity light-no
bath vent- yes HVL-no
porch light- yes
phones- NO???
celing fan boxes- no
two kitchen countertop circuits--not-- 2 recpt per circuit
recepts every 12ft - as opposed to "as needed" here and there.

What are some more "items" that folks assume are needed, but is not required?????

DENNIS

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is a bath vent required if the room has a window?
One phone outlet is required. {800.156}

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would say that even outside fixtures are not included. Just have to have an outlet for one. I would further say that the garage could just have one receptacle as per code minimums. But remember The Code is known as the "minimum now" and the Code book tells you its probably in your best interest to expand further in the install.

jumper

You do need two small appliance circuits. But if you are saying that you only need to feed kitchen countertop receptacles with one circuit, I will agree with that.

How so?

(3) Kitchen Receptacle Requirements. Receptacles installed
in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be
supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits,
either or both of which shall also be permitted to
supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other
rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1).

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have to disagree. I would say that the receptacles in the kitchen supplying the countertops need to be supplied by both circuits.... not just one. IMHO one circuit for the left side and one circuit for the right side.

How so?

(3) Kitchen Receptacle Requirements. Receptacles installed
in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be
supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits,
either or both of which shall also be permitted to
supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other
rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1).

growler

I was asked to bid against a house for $3/ft for "CODE MINIMUM".

WHAT IS NOT REQUIRED for code minimum?? most things are taken for granted that they are required.

I don't pay any attention to idiots that use the term "code minimum". I ask what they want and will give a price based on what they actually want in the house. I write it up as being very specific as to the number of circuits and fixtures and devices.

If you write up things to exact amounts furnished there can't be any arguements over not getting what was promised.

jumper

I have to disagree. I would say that the receptacles in the kitchen supplying the countertops need to be supplied by both circuits.... not just one. IMHO one circuit for the left side and one circuit for the right side.

Must be a communication problem, that was what I was saying.

As far as left and right, no. Design issue.

stevebea

Is a bath vent required if the room has a window?
One phone outlet is required. {800.156}

Would a cable connection suffice if one were to have digital phone through their cable provider? Just wondering because 800.156 does not specifically state phone but " communication outlet" ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Now, let's pick on charlie b for his post.
Nah, let's leave the poor fellow alone. The moderators haven't been given a cost of living raise for several years. :roll:

So, you are saying that the word "the" does not, in fact, appear between "supplied by" and "not fewer"? Go figure. :confused:

wawireguy

Code minimum.. This bid is going to whomever slaps a low number on the job. Detail what you will and WON'T be providing and how extras are going to be handled. You need to have a contract that details payment. Don't do the whole job without money. Get paid in stages. You could also bid the service and the wiring seperate. Bid low volt seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.