Bonding neutral and ground in sub-panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a situation where the main service in in a detached garage and a sub-panel is in the house 200 feet away. The original installer did not run a grounding conductor between buildings and it is not feasible to add one. The sub-panel has a UFFR ground in the footing. My question is should the neutral bar be bonded to the can and ground bar. I say yes so as to have a direct path to the utility earth ground. Otherwise a dead short from hot to ground may have resistance to high to trip breakers. Opinions please.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a situation where the main service in in a detached garage and a sub-panel is in the house 200 feet away. The original installer did not run a grounding conductor between buildings and it is not feasible to add one. The sub-panel has a UFFR ground in the footing. My question is should the neutral bar be bonded to the can and ground bar. I say yes so as to have a direct path to the utility earth ground. Otherwise a dead short from hot to ground may have resistance to high to trip breakers. Opinions please.

This install was legal before the 2008 NEC. Yes the neutral should be bonded to the can. The GEC connected to it also.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There were some additional constraints associated with using the neutral wire as the equipment grounding path from a remote building back to the main panel. One had to do with the absence of any underground metal pipes that ran between the buildings. But I can't find the relevant article in my copy of the 2005. Perhaps someone can chime in with the section.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My question is should the neutral bar be bonded to the can and ground bar. I say yes so as to have a direct path to the utility earth ground. Otherwise a dead short from hot to ground may have resistance to high to trip breakers.
The utility earth ground is not relevant to this discussion. If you are talking about a short from a hot conductor to planet Earth, the resistance is always going to be too high for the breaker to trip, at least for a household 120/240 volt system. Back when the NEC still allowed this, you would connect the neutral to the can in a remote building in order to provide a low resistance path back to the utility neutral point, not to the utility earth ground.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There were some additional constraints associated with using the neutral wire as the equipment grounding path from a remote building back to the main panel. One had to do with the absence of any underground metal pipes that ran between the buildings. But I can't find the relevant article in my copy of the 2005. Perhaps someone can chime in with the section.

250.32(B)(2) I believe is what you are referring to.

jumper

2008 250.32(B).......
Exception: For existing premises wiring systems only, the
grounded conductor run with the supply to the building or
structure shall be permitted to be connected to the building
or structure disconnecting means and to the grounding
electrode(s) and shall be used for grounding or bonding ofequipment, structures, or frames required to be grounded
or bonded where all the requirements of (1), (2), and (3)
are met:
(1) An equipment grounding conductor is not run with the
supply to the building or structure.
(2) There are no continuous metallic paths bonded to the
grounding system in each building or structure involved.
(3) Ground-fault protection of equipment has not been installed
on the supply side of the feeder(s).
Where the grounded conductor is used for grounding in
accordance with the provision of this exception, the size of
the grounded conductor shall not be smaller than the larger
of either of the following:
(1) That required by 220.61
(2) That required by 250.122

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That changed in 2005. You would need to go back to the 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.