Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Light fixtures can utilize either electronic or magnetic ballasts. Is this correct? Thanks.

Yes, for HID fixtures including fluorescent, Metal Halide, and High Pressure sodium.

Of course, incandescent fixtures don't need a ballast.

Electric-Light

How often are mag ballasts still used?

For T12s, magnetic ballasts are outlawed since there is not one available that meets the energy efficiency standards.

Electronic T12 ballasts are still available with primary intended application of spot replacement.

Electric-Light

How often are mag ballasts still used?

Most HIDs and high output fluorescent (like outdoor signs) and legacy T12 installs are still using magnetic.

Standard fluorescent are now mostly electronic. Refrigerated case lighting are quickly getting replaced by LEDs, which you probably have noticed in major grocers.

I think LEDs will soon replace outdoor signs as colored LEDs produce MUCH vibrant colors and they're way more efficient than putting fluorescent through colored panels.(though, LEDs are not as efficient as fluorescent fore general lighting)

broadgage

Here in the UK, magnetic ballasts are still in widspread use in existing equipment, but the trend is towards electronic ballasts for new equipment.

Almost all new small HID and flourescent fittings are electronic.
Both types are still used for larger HID lamps, with electronic ballasts rapidly gaining ground.

LEDs are often more efficient than very small flourescent lamps and are rapidly replacing these. I suspect that flourescent lamps of 7 watts or less will soon be obsolete.
As others post, LEDs are already far superior when colored light is required for advertising or decorative purposes.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
For T12s, magnetic ballasts are outlawed since there is not one available that meets the energy efficiency standards.

Electronic T12 ballasts are still available with primary intended application of spot replacement.

Are you sure about that? I think the basic fluorescent fixtures sold at hardware stores still have magnetic ballasts. But I could be wrong. I guess its been a while since I checked.

Refrigerated case lighting are quickly getting replaced by LEDs, which you probably have noticed in major grocers.

I haven't noticed, but I wouldn't be supprised. It probably has a lot to do with the lower temp.

Electric-Light

Are you sure about that? I think the basic fluorescent fixtures sold at hardware stores still have magnetic ballasts. But I could be wrong. I guess its been a while since I checked.
Those with power factor below 0.90 and labeled residential use only are exempt, which can still get installed in commercial locations, but they will never be available in 277v.

Electric-Light

I'm not sure I would remove the ballast before you are sure the customer is happy with the LED output.;)

Happy on day one doesn't mean it will stay that way. There are many cheap Chinese LED lights built using the same kind as keychain and christmas lights.

They already do poorly in long term output maintenance. They do even worse when hundreds of them are clustered together and heat up.

They're fine for keychain lights that are used seconds at a time and maybe even see at most a single digit hour over the useful life, but when they're left on continuously, they decay as much as 50% in 1,000 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.