southern Tornades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I wake of the out major break of Tornadoes and the damage they caused. I hope every one and there family's are safe.
My prayers are with every one. Please let us know how you are OK.
Cameron

I live in Tn and my area was spared other than severe wind and flooding. Most of the tornadoes were south of me. I believe there were 165 reported tornadoes including Ala,Ga,Tn,and Ak. I think, the last report I saw, was 264 people killed. Really bad in the path of the storms. Thanks for the concern. God decided to spare us for some reason.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
One of my techs was hooking up a generator to a drug store that lost power due to the storm, when a second tornado came thru. They all huddled in the back of the store, and luckily none of them were hurt, but the store managers truck did not fair so well. Been on the phone all day today directing temporary generator installs. It's really bad in Alabama.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
One of my techs was hooking up a generator to a drug store that lost power due to the storm, when a second tornado came thru. They all huddled in the back of the store, and luckily none of them were hurt, but the store managers truck did not fair so well. Been on the phone all day today directing temporary generator installs. It's really bad in Alabama.

I heard over 1M without power.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Although my profile says Ohio, I am currently working outside of Chattanooga and lodging within city limits. Had to go to "safe" area twice yesterday and prayed in my room during the third warning last night.

One tornada touched down less than a mile from my location at the time. Several local-resident personnel were absent from work today to handle the aftermath.

As I understand it, TVA's Browns Ferry nuclear generating facility is totally off line due to a downed transmission tower and its effects.

I faired well, and thus consider myself blessed.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Although my profile says Ohio, I am currently working outside of Chattanooga and lodging within city limits. Had to go to "safe" area twice yesterday and prayed in my room during the third warning last night.

One tornada touched down less than a mile from my location at the time. Several local-resident personnel were absent from work today to handle the aftermath.

As I understand it, TVA's Browns Ferry nuclear generating facility is totally off line due to a downed transmission tower and its effects.

I faired well, and thus consider myself blessed.

Ringold, Ga. just south of you got hit very hard. Rome,Ga. Southwest of you has major damage too. I heard one report that a tornado stayed on the ground for 60 miles! Scary stuff!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we took the day off to clean out the vehicles and had one touch down a couple miles from us.

we finished a job in northern alabama a few weeks ago and on the news this morning, they were showing the buildings around it were destroyed. they never showed the building our guys did, but i would imagine its no longer there either.

today was our first day of severe weather, and appears to be the last.

stay safe.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Incredibly sad. This storm makes what happened here last week in NC look like a gust of wind. 290 people dead now and rising I am sure. My heart goes out to them.

masterinbama

I heard last night they shut power down to the city of Huntsville, AL. They had problems at the nuke plant.
It was not a safety issue with the plant but a 161 switch yard in the vicinity. Huntsville Al lost 8 out of 8 TVA feeds. Huntsville Utilities alone lost power for every single customer on it's system. Approximately 200,000 customers. I am currently in Huntsville Hospital for Blood Pressure problems and we got normal power back round midnight last night. From what I gathered from one of the guys I know that work here, the gensets did their job as designed (all 16 of them)

masterinbama

southern Tornades

Just to give you guys an idea of the scope of damage. TVA has 4000 total people working on their distribution system damage alone. They have 150+ steel towers on the ground or unrepairable. That's just on their 151 and 500 KV lines. That doesn't count line crews on various utilities systems.

masterinbama

Just to give you guys an idea of the scope of damage. TVA has 4000 total people working on their distribution system damage alone. They have 150+ steel towers on the ground or unrepairable. That's just on their 151 and 500 KV lines. That doesn't count line crews on various utilities systems.
That should have been 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.