334.15a

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

Im gonna be wiring a garage that we will be using romex that will be exposed. I was reading 334.15A and it says you must follow the surface of the building. If im reading this right it means you cant run the romex thru bored holes along the wall to go outlet to outlet?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Im gonna be wiring a garage that we will be using romex that will be exposed. I was reading 334.15A and it says you must follow the surface of the building. If im reading this right it means you cant run the romex thru bored holes along the wall to go outlet to outlet?

You are reading it correctly.

hurk27

I always come down a stud to a box, not across through holes in a garage if the wall only finished on the outside, but in a dwelling, as long as at least one side of a wall is finished we can go through studs horizontally, this was debated at state level here, and they concluded that if the wall has a finish on one side the NM is not subject to damage.

Open building studs that are not finished are just that, there is no finish to follow closely to.

now if you were to install the NM across the front of open studs, then 334.15(A) would require running boards.

I get a kick out of people who think NM is so dangerous when exposed, but have all kinds of fragile lamp cords plugged in and laying all around their house and some that can even be walked on, yet want to go full bore protecting NM which has two full insulating layers protecting it.

squaredan

I am reading 334.15 (A) thur (C), I thought you can go thru bored holes, you just got to secure the romex to the finished surface and Steel plates over studs( 300.4).2008.. Maybe i am reading it wrong..I have been learing the code and I get knocked around sometimes...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.