DIY dryer installation explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Actually the gas was leaking. Fortunately for us electricity is a bit more forgiving. Of course it can hurt you but there is little room for error with gas.

mtfallsmikey

Sure was leaking! When I got my gas fitter's license, we studied a chart/table that showed how long it would take for a gas leak to fill up a certain amount of square footage to an explosive level. There is a great difference in the rate with a 2 PSI nat. gas system vs. the (old) 1/2 PSI system. In that short amount of time between when the work was done and the explosion, it must have been a busted fitting, valve left open, etc, instead of a small leak which in some cases would not be found for days/weeks. Of course it takes a lot longer with natural gas (lighter than air) than propane. This is something that could have been prevented if the DIY'er involved would have tested the gas fittings with some soap solution. I'm surprised no one smelled the gas (odorant).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am always amazed at how often electrical work gets blamed for fires. I was a volunteer firefighter at one time in my life and I couldn't understand why causes of fires were getting written up as electrical. If someone plugged in a wall heater next to the bed and set the sheets on fires then it was electrical. I bet the actual cause of fires from electrical work is quite small, in spite of the terrible work we find all over.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
When unknown it is electrical, you can't see it , smell it.

That's my point. It is unfair to blame the fire on electrical when in fact it is human error. Sure the heater is electric but......

Years ago someone did a study and found out that a very small percentage of reported electrical fires was really caused by electrical work in the walls done by electrical workers.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Sure was leaking! When I got my gas fitter's license, we studied a chart/table that showed how long it would take for a gas leak to fill up a certain amount of square footage to an explosive level. There is a great difference in the rate with a 2 PSI nat. gas system vs. the (old) 1/2 PSI system. In that short amount of time between when the work was done and the explosion, it must have been a busted fitting, valve left open, etc, instead of a small leak which in some cases would not be found for days/weeks. Of course it takes a lot longer with natural gas (lighter than air) than propane. This is something that could have been prevented if the DIY'er involved would have tested the gas fittings with some soap solution. I'm surprised no one smelled the gas (odorant).

The man who lived in the home tried to replace a gas-powered dryer with an electric model before going to bed.

He may have smelled the odorant and just thought it was from disconnecting the old dryer.

iwire

Staff member
Considering we don't allow link dumps and this one has nothing to do with electrical work I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.