Control Wiring for HVAC (NYC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

unytko

Can someone please confirm that using armored cable (16/6 BX) is not "acceptable" for use as control wire between wall thermostat and AHU/Condenser on the roof. (roof part runs in piece of seal-tight before entering the unit).
This issue came up after recent inspection and I am kind of lost. ( I wasn't present on the inspection so I do not know the details)
Thank You for your input.
GK

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's possible that the conductors in the AC cable are not rated for a wet location like inside of the raceway on the roof.

unytko

Baby bx (16/6 ac)or conduit were the only acceptable methods until recently,which would change over to seal tight outside.

Yes, And that is how it was done on this and all my projects in past - EI made comment that it is no good ....that "baby bx" is not supposed to be used but thermostat wire only. I understand that it ok to use Tstat wire this days, what I don't understand is, why he would have a problem with "baby bx" when is properly sized terminated/ connected ?

unytko

Baby bx (16/6 ac)or conduit were the only acceptable methods until recently,which would change over to seal tight outside.

It's possible that the conductors in the AC cable are not rated for a wet location like inside of the raceway on the roof.

Thanks - I will check on that
BTW
Power supply is done the same way 4 x#12 THHN wires in the seal tight -no problem there.....
As for the control wiring:
1/2" AL Conduit comes out to the roof then 3' before the unit changes in to "seal tight" installed approx 18" above the roof base.

Status
Not open for further replies.