Apartment with single bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockingdave

I am working with an electrician on an apartment complex with 4 apartments. Each apartment has a single bathroom. Can the GFCI be tied into the same circuit as the lights, vanity and exhaust fan or does it have to have its own independent branch back to the panel? I have looked in the code and have not been able to find clarification on this. I would appreciate any feedback on this - Dave

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Mine is wired all on one circuit. The inspector signed off on it. The GFCI is actually located in a utility closet outisde the bathroom. I didn't put it there. Thats where the electrician the GC hired put it for some reason.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes a 20 amp circuit can supply all of the bathroom lighting, receptacle(s) and equipment if it only supplies one bathroom.

210.11(C) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).
(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.
(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Mine is wired all on one circuit. The inspector signed off on it. The GFCI is actually located in a utility closet outisde the bathroom. I didn't put it there. Thats where the electrician the GC hired put it for some reason.

210.11(C) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).
(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.
(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

So technically, yours is in violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.