Whatever happened to 300 & 500W halogen torchieres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

For those of you not familiar, they're indirect lamps that shine at the ceiling. It is on a pole about 6'/1.8 meter tall and there is a shallow bowl/plate on top with a 300W or 500W halogen lamp inside.

It's always been considered a fire hazard when it tips over or when something gets draped on top, but I don't specifically remember there being any law banning it.

stevebea

For those of you not familiar, they're indirect lamps that shine at the ceiling. It is on a pole about 6'/1.8 meter tall and there is a shallow bowl/plate on top with a 300W or 500W halogen lamp inside.

It's always been considered a fire hazard when it tips over or when something gets draped on top, but I don't specifically remember there being any law banning it.

I don't believe the UL will certify the 500 watt J-bulb version any more but I'm not sure about the 300 watt version.

stevebea

I vaguely remember NBC Dateline running a story about the hazards of the 500 watt halogen torcheire.

defears

Maybe the energy code.

I have 18 lights in my house that in total use less energy then that 1 fixture.:grin:

srasbury

curtain burners

curtain burners

I think the govment did ban the 500watters. You still see 300's occasionally. goto ebay I'm sure theres millions of old ones for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.