Tripping GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I have a GFCI at my house in my garage. I have a sprinkler timer plugged directly into the GFCI outlet because my timer is in my garage next to the receptacle. My problem is that the GFCI keeps tripping and re-setting the sprinkler timer. It has a 9V rechargeable battery backup but I cant find one to replace it. Aside from it needs a new battery, I tried replacing the GCFI because I thought it was faulty but no luck. The GFCI also feeds several exterior and garage outlets downstream of it. My question is, is there any way other than replacing EVERY outlet downstream to find the one in question?

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would start by disconnecting the load side wires, so that the only load is the timer.

No, I would start by asking if some aspect of this installation is new. Did this system ever work properly, and did it just recently reveal this sympton? Did you just get the timer? Did you install a new receptacle downstream? Did you plug something into a downstream outlet (whether or not you knew it was downstream of this particular GFCI)?

Npstewart

Thanks for the reply Charlie. The timer has always been there and worked for years. The only thing that has been done was when I changed the gfci last time. I think I will disconnect the load wires and see if it is still tripping. Thanks for the suggestion.

The house was actually vacant because it is a rental. It was doing it when nobody lived there.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Now thats a quick way to get a thread locked
Well, you are right about that. I had missed the OP's profile, when I first responded. We are not allowed to provide assistance to a person who is not an electrician, and who is planning to perform electrical installation, maintenance, or troubleshooting at their own residence. I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.