Sub-panel ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today a multi-building inspector wrote me up stating the #6 (black) ground feeding the new 125 amp, 208/120, 3 phase panel has to be green all the way back to the main panel. He quoted Nec. 250.117. We taped the wire with green tape. Is this required or is this just another newbe looking for something to write up? Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Inspector is correct except that it should be 250.119 and it can be bare.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger. The ground wire is #6 stranded , insulated. Can it be stripped at the panels or should I just bite the bullet and pull in a green wire?

First off I want to say this is a very stupid rule and probably driven by wire manufacturers and with that said, all I can offer is you will have to ask your inspector if he will allow your common sense solution.

Roger

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I were inspecting the job you would need to have done something to get on my bad side to write this violation up.

kwired

Electron manager
If I were inspecting the job you would need to have done something to get on my bad side to write this violation up.

I agree but I would still inform the guy that it is not the way it should be done and maybe even give him applicable code section and hope he starts to do it correctly in future. This is not a new change or anything like that.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I worked on a job where this was an existing feeder in EMT. The inspector demanded we change out the wire to green. We insisted that it was the building owners issue and not ours as it had been that way for a decade or two
anyhow my boss was told us to just remove the wire entirely as the emt was essentially the ground. Well when the inspector came back he was furious but could do nothing as the job was now compliant. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.