Energized work permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

I am reading a energized work permit that states any work performed beyond the l.a.b. needs a energized work permit.

What i am getting from this is any energized work closer then 3'6" [lab] needs a E W P . This should mean any voltage testing, troubleshooting of a circuit or bucket in a MCC that is not placed in a deenergized state needs a E.W.P. because we are touching energized parts with our testers beyond the L A B. ?

Does this need a E W P for each time we are sent to test, troubleshoot a bucket or can a yearly permit be enough ?

Is any of this correct ?

WorkSafe

According to 130.2(A)(3), you don't need a permit if you are just troubleshooting or taking measurements as long as you have appropriate PPE on.

70E should have made that last sentence a different bullet in my opinion.

jimbo123

130.1 3 2009 I think says i don't need a permit for energized work ,[ testing, troubleshooting], if i don't cross the LAB . SO if i am testing energized parts at the terminals that should put me crossing the LAB and i would need a permit. Is this correct ? IT also says if i cross the LAB only for a visual inspection and i don't cross the RESTRICTED APPROACH BOUNDARY than a energized permit is not required.

The RAB is one foot so i would need testers longer than one foot to not cross the RAB.
I must be missing something because everyone says we don't need a permit to work energized for testing, troubleshooting. Set me straight on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.