magnetic mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think this is the link

I have not had a need for it but I can see it coming in handy. I use a jack chain or glow rods.

121_MM6.jpg

John120/240

Have always used fish sticks or jack chain just like Dennis. At a recent counter day

they had a wall mock up. It worked slick in a controlled setting. One glitch, that to

avoid batt insulation the recomendation was to drill your hole in the top plate

only 1" from the edge of top plate. The idea was to be behind the sheetrock (of

course) and in front of the batt insulation. I did not like this idea!!

hurk27

And besides bat, cellulose or fiber fill insulation, fire blocking, lap plaster, screen plaster, and any other protrusions into the cavity will render them useless, although they do have their place in some cases, but kind of extra work if your cutting a box in any way, and if your trying to hit an existing box, forget it, see below.

I have a telescoping wand magnet that I stick through an existing box KO it will capture any fish stick with a metal hook or metal fish tape even jack chain and guide it through the KO.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
And besides bat, cellulose or fiber fill insulation, fire blocking, lap plaster, screen plaster, and any other protrusions into the cavity will render them useless, although they do have their place in some cases, but kind of extra work if your cutting a box in any way, and if your trying to hit an existing box, forget it, see below.

I have a telescoping wand magnet that I stick through an existing box KO it will capture any fish stick with a metal hook or metal fish tape even jack chain and guide it through the KO.
Why didn't I think if that? The time that could have saved me. Dang.

frankft2000

I have that magnetic mouse. I have it as part of my bag of tricks. Its not the first fish tool i pull out of the van, but sometimes it will do what sticks can't. The magnet though is SUPER strong. Its not a regular magnet, and it comes with a disclaimer about not using it near somebody who has a pacemaker.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have another version of that. With me it is not the first tool that comes out but it has helped me on several occasions. It may claim that it goes through insulation but it depends how tight the insulation is.

Overall it is a good tool to have. It will come in handy. Be careful the magnet is very strong, don't get your finger between the magnet and the mouse. You will get a good pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.