wet niche fixture #8 bonding wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsr

680.23(B)(2) states the #8 must be insullated.
Question: can i use #8 stranded not green and strip the jacket in the niche and pool j-box

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure how you can strip the insulation off and still have an insulated conductor. I believe the insulation is to protect the copper from the chemicals in the water.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
...are you asking if you can re-identify a conductor?

Sounds like it. Since this #8 is a bonding jumper is it required to be green in the first place?

(B) Wet-Niche Luminaires.
(1) Forming Shells. Forming shells shall be installed for the mounting of all wet-niche underwater luminaires and shall be equipped with provisions for conduit entries. Metal parts of the luminaire and forming shell in contact with the pool water shall be of brass or other approved corrosion-resistant metal. All forming shells used with nonmetallic conduit systems, other than those that are part of a listed low-voltage lighting system not requiring grounding, shall include provisions for terminating an 8 AWG copper conductor.
(2) Wiring Extending Directly to the Forming Shell. Conduit shall be installed from the forming shell to a junction box or other enclosure conforming to the requirements in 680.24. Conduit shall be rigid metal, intermediate metal, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic, or rigid nonmetallic.
(a) Metal Conduit. Metal conduit shall be approved and shall be of brass or other approved corrosion-resistant metal.
(b) Nonmetallic Conduit. Where a nonmetallic conduit is used, an 8 AWG insulated solid or stranded copper bonding jumper shall be installed in this conduit unless a listed low-voltage lighting system not requiring grounding is used. The bonding jumper shall be terminated in the forming shell, junction box or transformer enclosure, or ground-fault circuit-interrupter enclosure. The termination of the 8 AWG bonding jumper in the forming shell shall be covered with, or encapsulated in, a listed potting compound to protect the connection from the possible deteriorating effect of pool water.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like it. Since this #8 is a bonding jumper is it required to be green in the first place?

I wasn't sure either but I could only find text that said the bonding screw must be green-- my thinking is it needs to be bare or green but not positive. I really don't see why it needs to be green, however.....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wasn't sure either but I could only find text that said the bonding screw must be green-- my thinking is it needs to be bare or green but not positive. I really don't see why it needs to be green, however.....

I can't find a requirement for it to be green either, it just says that it needs to be insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.