Pools-Overhead Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In regard to 680.8, is the 10 ft horizontal clearance listed under "C" in the Table irrespective of the vertical clearances in "A" & "B" ?
In other words, if I have a service drop that exceeds the clearances given in "A" and "B", can it be less than 10 ft (horizontally) from the pool ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In regard to 680.8, is the 10 ft horizontal clearance listed under "C" in the Table irrespective of the vertical clearances in "A" & "B" ?
In other words, if I have a service drop that exceeds the clearances given in "A" and "B", can it be less than 10 ft (horizontally) from the pool ?

IMO, if the "A" & B" clearance is more than 22.5' and 14.5' respectively, the conductors can be right over the pool. "C" is just saying you have to meet the requirements of "A/B" to the outer edge of the listed items but not less than 10'. If your clearances are above "A/B", then "C" would not even come into play. IMHO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bill. Anything within the "C" dimension must have at least "A" & "B" vertical clearance. This means it can be directly over the pool. I am not sure that I would want that but that is how it reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.