mounting ceiling fans in metal lathe and plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I ma bidding on installing 10 ceiling fans for a 2 story school.
The school was built in the mid 1950'S, walls and ceilings of second floor are built out of metal lathe and plaster /suspend ceiling on metal hat channel. there is an attic above the class rooms . wirng method would be M/C cable.

the question is
how would one mount a fan rated box and or fan box and brace in metal lathe and plaster aqnd how to support the box? there are no I beams or joist directly above where fan would be installed.

5 foot from ceiling to roof in attic. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Cameron

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I ma bidding on installing 10 ceiling fans for a 2 story school.
The school was built in the mid 1950'S, walls and ceilings of second floor are built out of metal lathe and plaster /suspend ceiling on metal hat channel. there is an attic above the class rooms . wirng method would be M/C cable.

the question is
how would one mount a fan rated box and or fan box and brace in metal lathe and plaster aqnd how to support the box? there are no I beams or joist directly above where fan would be installed.

5 foot from ceiling to roof in attic. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Cameron

Are there any joists or beams below the roof? What are the metal lathes mounted to?

John120/240

Attach uni strut or all thread or rigid conduit to framing member at the roof.

Then support your fan. What supports the metal hat channel ? Hopefully closer

than your 5ft to the roof.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wire lath and plaster is so strong a surface mounted box and a few toggle bolts could certainly support a ceiling fan. But since you have access from above a piece of strut across the metal C channel supports would work and would be stronger too. In this application I don't think that they would use hat channel, at least that's not the way they did it around here.

hurk27

Take a 2x4 long enough to spand the joist, put a mark where the fan will be hung below, and from the back side of this 2x4 screw another 2x4 long enough to reach your box flush with the drop ceiling, install a angle brace between the two 2x4's.

Riograndeelectric

Wire lath and plaster is so strong a surface mounted box and a few toggle bolts could certainly support a ceiling fan. But since you have access from above a piece of strut across the metal C channel supports would work and would be stronger too. In this application I don't think that they would use hat channel, at least that's not the way they did it around here.

ceiling is built on suspend black angle iron than hat channel tied to black angle iron with steel wire than the metal screen / lathe is installed over the hat channel which is 16" on center. the ceiling is 5 feet from the roof line at the Attic level.

I have worked in this School before and am aware of the asbestos and lead paint but will bring it to the attention of the school to have work ares tested.
Thanks.
Cameron

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would think that using a fan rated box supported/screwed to the black iron supporting the ceiling should do. I dont think it would be necessary to add a support wire but is easy enogh to do.

Riograndeelectric

I would think that using a fan rated box supported/screwed to the black iron supporting the ceiling should do. I don't think it would be necessary to add a support wire but is easy enough to do.

I do not think i would be able to locate the fan box so it screw's to the black iron.
Fans are to be located in center of each room most likely placing box in the metal lathe only

I like the idea of using unistrut with toggles thru the strut to support boxes.

Riograndeelectric

I got the job. the school decided to install ceiling fans in every classroom- 24 fans. (Recived change order)

my question is On the first floor and basement ceiling are 1/2" drywall with 1x1 acoustical tiles glued to bottom of Dry wall. I do not know how the drywall is fattened to Metal /wood joists. suspended drywall ceiling. I know there is about 6" of space above the ceiling from a test hole I drilled

I have been reading information for shear strength& tension weight for strap toggles.

I will be using 2" Deep metal fan boxes surface mounted with starp toggles. wiring method will be surface mounted 1/2" EMT
I have chosen to to use 2 ( 1/4") strap toggles as the supporting means for the fan boxes.

http://trianglefastener.com/pdf/119.pdf

looking for your opinions on my means of support.
Thanks.
Cameron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.