Smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

Where in the code does it talk about smoke alarm location or doesn't it. Do we have to put them on arc- faults. Read 210.12(A) and 760.41. I think they need to be but not sure.

guschash

No wonder I didn't find! :) I was reading the explaination in 760.41 and it mention smoke alarms. Telling you to go to 210

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Smoke alarms or smoke detectors? The line voltage smoke detectors must be on afci, in dwelling units, unless you have an amendment to that. The code on smoke detectors can be found in the building code not the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Smoke alarms or smoke detectors? The line voltage smoke detectors must be on afci, in dwelling units, unless you have an amendment to that. The code on smoke detectors can be found in the building code not the NEC.

Aren't the line voltage types called smoke alarms?

guschash

Thanks Dennis, I thought it was in the code. What is the differents in alarm and detector? I talking residental. Does a detector give off a alarm if it detects smoke? Whats does the alarm do if it detects smoke? Trying to learn something here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well many people call them alarms I should have made sure you weren't referring to fire alarm panels. That was my bad...

Occupation
Inspector
Aren't the line voltage types called smoke alarms?

I'm under the impression that a:

Smoke Alarm is line voltage or battery type that can be or is interconnected and is the alarm itself.

Smoke Dectector is part of an Alarm System, to detect smoke / heat to set off the System.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I'm under the impression that a:

Smoke Alarm is line voltage or battery type that can be or is interconnected.

Smoke Dectector is part of an Alarm System, to detect smoke / heat to set off the System

That is correct as far as I know.

dhalleron

Smoke alarms are the battery or line voltage detectors that have a built in sounder - the alarm.

NFPA 72 2010 3.3.245 Single Station Alarm. A detector comprising an assembly
that incorporates a sensor, control components, and
an alarm notification appliance in one unit operated from a
power source either located in the unit or obtained at the
point of installation.

Smoke detectors are are the low voltage ones that only detect smoke. The "alarm" is a separate audible/visual that is activated by the fire alarm system.

NFPA 72 2010 3.3.59 Detector. A device suitable for connection to a circuit
that has a sensor that responds to a physical stimulus such as
heat or smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.