A/C air handler in a residential attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

Please help with the requirements for a a/c air handler in an attic.It is accessible from a scuttle hole in a closet, it is located about 10Ft. from the entrance but has no flooring in the attic to get to it ,only the floor joist below.

I am sure it is a violation ,but need help with a code section.

As always Thanks for the help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Building Codes address this as well as some State Codes. Where (State) are you located ?

220/221

Probably building rather than electrical code.

Here you need an OSB deck, a 120V recep and a light, switched @ the scuttle.

kwired

Electron manager
Gas fired furnace could possibly require 1 hour finish surrounding the furnace or a room with the furnace in it. But this is not really an electricians problem.

Main requirements are disconnect within sight of the HVAC unit, servicing receptacle - GFCI is not required in a crawl space that is not at or below grade - at least in 2008 NEC, and lighting outlet near the equipment with at least one point of control at the usual entry to the space.

romeo

You know it's not uncommon to have HVAC units in an attic, right?

Thank You for the response.
Yes I am aware that it is a common practice.My question is should there be a floor installed for access to the unit, rather than just open joist?

Thanks again

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Around here the building code requires a platform where the furnace sits and the scuttle hole must be 24x 30 or something like that.

kwired

Electron manager
Even if there is no building code requiring the platform a good HVAC contractor will know that if he were to service it later he would want the platform.

There are HVAC hackers also but not as many as there are electricians or plumbers.

construct

I don't know if Massachusets has a state building code. In my area, we have adopted the 2006 IRC. Section M1305.1.3 requires a clear and unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance, but not less than 30 inches high and 22 inches wide and not more than 20ft long. It shall have continuous solid flooring in accordance with floor framing requirements of Chapter 5 not less than 24 inches wide. A level service space at least 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide shall be present where access is required. (that was not word for word but covers the highlights)

romeo

I don't know if Massachusets has a state building code. In my area, we have adopted the 2006 IRC. Section M1305.1.3 requires a clear and unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance, but not less than 30 inches high and 22 inches wide and not more than 20ft long. It shall have continuous solid flooring in accordance with floor framing requirements of Chapter 5 not less than 24 inches wide. A level service space at least 30 inches deep and 30 inches wide shall be present where access is required. (that was not word for word but covers the highlights)

Thank you very much. I checked with the building inspector, we have the very same rule.
Your help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.