clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepy

i have a quick question,
section 110.26(2)width of work space
if you have a panel (20 inches wide x 6 inches deep)
you put it in a small closet, you open the door, there is your 30 inch clearance in front,
how wide does your door have to be? 30 inches minimum, thanks as always

raider1

Staff member
I would say yes.

The 30" width would need to be maintained for the required depth of the working space as laid out in Table 110.26(A)(1).

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . you open the door, there is your 30 inch clearance in front. . . .
I think you need at least 36 inches in front, more if the voltage is higher. But I agree that you can take credit for the space in the hallway.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If you are talking side to side clearance it is minimum of 30" if you are talking "in front clearance" it is 36".

Another words you can't have a 14" panel installed in a 24" wide closet.

ezbz

Working Space

Working Space

I have encountered similar things with this section of NEC. Clearance in front of the panel must be 36" away from any ungrounded material. It must be 42" away from grounded or live equipment unless it is properly insulated. This is because mst people's arms are about 36" from fingertip to shoulderblade. If one were leaning on, say a grounded enclosure and reached out and touched the panel, there would be a current path through their arm to the grounded enclosure. If there is 42" between them, it is less likely for that to occur. Concrete is considered to be grounded.

raider1

Staff member
I have encountered similar things with this section of NEC. Clearance in front of the panel must be 36" away from any ungrounded material. It must be 42" away from grounded or live equipment unless it is properly insulated. This is because mst people's arms are about 36" from fingertip to shoulderblade. If one were leaning on, say a grounded enclosure and reached out and touched the panel, there would be a current path through their arm to the grounded enclosure. If there is 42" between them, it is less likely for that to occur. Concrete is considered to be grounded.

Keep in mind that the 42" requirement only applies to voltage systems with a nominal voltage to ground of 151-600, so this would not apply to a 208/120 volt 3 phase system or a 240/120 volt single phase system. It would apply to a 240/120 3 phase delta system though.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
It has been said here before: You must be able to place a refrigderator box

in front of the panel. This visual concept usually results in compliance.

But then the refrigerator box would be violating the required space:D

Needs to have the side facing the electrical equipment cut out, then everything is ok. May need to be a little taller than most refrigerator boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.