Need to find in NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
maybe I did not read the OP correctly but the way I am reading it he has SJO cord in a approved manner and has a 4x4 Jbox at the other end ..So 314.23(H)1 box supported by cord would be allowed...
Not exactly.
(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.
A 4x4 box does not have a hub. The hub must be a part of the box.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
maybe I did not read the OP correctly but the way I am reading it he has SJO cord in a approved manner and has a 4x4 Jbox at the other end ..So 314.23(H)1 box supported by cord would be allowed...

He also said an UNMOUNTED 4x4 box. The unmounted part is a violation on it's own.

barclayd

(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

"such as", "such as", Hmmmm, could there possibly be other approved means to protect the conductors against strain?
db

barclayd

I don't got no PHD in English, or nothin', but, in my opinion, the words "such" and "as" in 314.23(H)(1) merely show the one example, but do not prohibit other methods of protecting the conductors against strain.
db

iwire

Staff member
I don't got no PHD in English, or nothin', but, in my opinion, the words "such" and "as" in 314.23(H)(1) merely show the one example, but do not prohibit other methods of protecting the conductors against strain.
db

Any other method other than the hub would be subject to approval.

314.23(H) Pendant Boxes. An enclosure supported by a pendant
shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (H)(2).

(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor
cord or cable in an approved manner that protects
the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief
connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

If that is a hair you want to split with OSHA be my guest, I know for a fact OSHA fines for pendent boxes made from 4" squares.

As was pointed out above a 4" square is also not listed for 'KO' support.

iwire

Staff member
Or he can use a WP box with threaded ko's. And, of course seal off all unused ko's. And add strain relief.

Not so fast, the listing and labeling for most if not all standard WP boxes requires they be mounted by the tabs provided.

I think you would have to move into a malleable steel type FS or FD box that is designed to be supported by the hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.