Scondary-side disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my clients has asked me to go behind the previous EC and point out mistakes which I dread because anyone can find fault. Anyway we have a transformer in a remote equipment room that feeds a panel in a kiosk far away. The panel is main breaker. If we had done it we wouldve installed a means of disconnect on the secondary side in the panel room. Does the main breaker provide an exception I dont know about? Other mistakes are obvious like missing bushings and panel knocked out leaving main lugs exposed to personnel so they kinda brought their own scrutiny.
PHP:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
240.21(C) would provide you with the provisions allow the absence of a secondary overcurrent means. This is normally the case in certain two-wire to two-wire or delta to delta installations.
Other than that you would have to comply with 240.21(C1-6).
In all likelihood you need a secondary disconnect at the transformer.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One of my clients has asked me to go behind the previous EC and point out mistakes which I dread because anyone can find fault. Anyway we have a transformer in a remote equipment room that feeds a panel in a kiosk far away. The panel is main breaker. If we had done it we wouldve installed a means of disconnect on the secondary side in the panel room. Does the main breaker provide an exception I dont know about? Other mistakes are obvious like missing bushings and panel knocked out leaving main lugs exposed to personnel so they kinda brought their own scrutiny.
PHP:

I don't think you are required to have a dedicated secondary disconnect, but it seems likely secondary OCPD's are required in this case.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
did 240.21 answer your question.. ??

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
One of my clients has asked me to go behind the previous EC and point out mistakes which I dread because anyone can find fault. Anyway we have a transformer in a remote equipment room that feeds a panel in a kiosk far away. The panel is main breaker. If we had done it we wouldve installed a means of disconnect on the secondary side in the panel room. Does the main breaker provide an exception I dont know about? Other mistakes are obvious like missing bushings and panel knocked out leaving main lugs exposed to personnel so they kinda brought their own scrutiny.[PHP]
[/PHP]

Nothing to do with the question, but what is PHP code?:?
See the OP and the box under his question.

Nothing to do with the question, but what is PHP code?:?
See the OP and the box under his question.

I would say it has to be server-side but php code is usually for computer scripting forums so you can display blocks of code rather than the result that the code creates. My tablet probably takes it literally and re-displays it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would say it has to be server-side but php code is usually for computer scripting forums so you can display blocks of code rather than the result that the code creates. My tablet probably takes it literally and re-displays it.

I figured it was some type of computer jargon but wasn't sure. Thanks!:)

kwired

Electron manager
From what im reading the ocp must be within 10'

There is a 25' rule also. Conductors need to be at least one third primary overcurrent device rating multiplied by primary to secondary voltage ratio.

There is also rule for conductors located outside of building that has no length or ampacity limits. If conductors would happen to run under slab on grade or are encased in 2 inches of concrete one may be able to use this. The portion that is not considered outside of building will have to be less than the 10 or 25 foot depending on which applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.