Uf cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
UF can be used outdoors if it is protected as long as the building qualifies under 334.10

How does building construction type come into play for something outdoors?

Once it enters a building then yes this would apply.

340.12 Uses Not Permitted.
Type UF cable shall not be used as follows:
(1) As service-entrance cable
(2) In commercial garages
(3) In theaters and similar locations
(4) In motion picture studios
(5) In storage battery rooms
(6) In hoistways or on elevators or escalators
(7) In any hazardous (classified) location, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
(8) Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as nonheating leads where permitted in 424.43
(9) Where exposed to direct rays of the sun, unless identified as sunlight resistant
(10) Where subject to physical damage
(11) As overhead cable, except where installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with Part II of Article 396

If not subject to physical damage I don't see why it can't be used.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Don't you have to bury it 18" - 24" according to Column 1 T300.5? Why not use a piece of conduit and pull single conductors?

kwired

Electron manager
I assumed the outdoor dinning was attached to the structure so I thought it would still apply.

What about a parking lot, is it attached to the structure it serves or is it outdoors? Service drop may run across the parking lot, if lot is part of the structure the service drop enters the structure too far. Also be careful what you run in spaces used for environmental air in this outdoor portion of the structure:D

Some places the inside air may actually be better for health.

hurk27

I think we will see more and more of that as they band inside smoking in restaurants.

When I was in Florida back in 2006 we went to a restaurant that had an outside deck dining area so you can smoke, and for the most part it was done in UF under the deck and sleeved in PVC above the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.