250.32(D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

retire09

When a disconnect is remote from the building as allowed by 250.32(d); does the panel supplied in the remote building still have to be service rated as required by 225.36 or does the equipment just have to be connected to a grounding electrode system?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When a disconnect is remote from the building as allowed by 250.32(d); does the panel supplied in the remote building still have to be service rated as required by 225.36 or does the equipment just have to be connected to a grounding electrode system?

I would think the same rules apply as if they were attached to the building.

retire09

I'm not sure I am understanding your response.
Are you saying the panels in the remote buildings receiving these supply feeders can be treated as sub panels as if they were attached to the building with the utility service?
That would mean no service rated equipment, no main disconnect or 6 switch rule and no connection to an electrode at the separate building.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes (except when no)...

225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting
means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as
service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential
property, a snap switch or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap
switches shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

retire09

This is for a multi-building natural gas storage facility. Most areas are class I division II and hazardous occupancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.