NEC code

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is it accurate to say that the basis for code rules, is that someone tried to do

the opposite installation ?

Not as a blanket statement, there are other reasons for code rules, one being manufacturers monetary gains. ;)

Roger

bphgravity

I have always liked this statement made in the Foward to NFPA 70E:

It can be debated that all of the requirements of the NEC, when traced through a chain of events, may relate to an electrical hazard..."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some of the code rules are simply there because someone thought that it was a good idea without any real substantiation. Lately many of the rules have been driven by manufacturers trying to sell a product as Roger mentioned.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Some of the code rules are simply there because someone thought that it was a good idea without any real substantiation. Lately many of the rules have been driven by manufacturers trying to sell a product as Roger mentioned.
Having set in or been on a few dozen NFPA Technical Committee discussions, my observation is the "...good idea without any real substantiation" usually comes from enforcement and ocassionally from labor. The manufacturers are usually (indeed not always) simply trying to have their products recognized when they would otherwise be excluded because some other product is specifically accepted.

While I was on the CMPs I was ocassionally able able to steer the discussion along the lines that a line may be drawn between "safe" and "unsafe" and cost be damned; but, if you want to enforce "safer" over "safe," an economic justifcation should also be submitted.

renosteinke

No, such a statement is not accurate.

The NEC is not an instruction manual. If anything, it is the role of the code to provide the 'grammar,' while the electrician writes the play.

Some of the rules are simply arbitrary, but are there simply because we need to all be following the same conventions. Wire colors are a prime example; electricity doesn't know what color the insulation is. One man might think the wire with the power ought to be red, because it's "hot;" another might choose green because it's "live." So, there's a need for some common practice.

There has been a fairly recent desire by some to have the code specify 'best' practice and to make 'design' decisions. This is a different goal from the stated purpose of specifying a 'practical minimum.' There have also been well-documented efforts by some to manipulate the NEC for commercial purposes. Personally, I think it is tangents like these that are why we say "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

bphgravity

The "minimum" criteria for safety will always fluctuate with the perceptions of society for what are ?acceptable? levels of hazard. It appears we are currently trending as a "nursemaid" society where no one really wants to be responsible for their actions or lack there of and expect products, the government, or someone / something else to protect them from themselves.

The use of electricity is inherently dangerous and can result in serious hazardous conditions. If society is under the belief that a product or practice will protect them from these potential hazards, overtime, that product or practice becomes the new concept of the? minimum".

This is not exclusive to the NEC or electrical industry. Just take health care or the automobile industry, for example. The same radical changes in practices and principles have occurred in the last 100 years in just about every industry...

iwire

Staff member
This is not exclusive to the NEC or electrical industry. Just take health care or the automobile industry, for example. The same radical changes in practices and principles have occurred in the last 100 years in just about every industry...

I agree and not just industry, across the board, we are getting smarter.

Hockey then ...

JackMcCartan.jpg

Hockey now ...

backstrom.jpg

Football then ...

uwrffball.ca1930a.jpg

Football now ...

bonnint-net.jpg

NASCAR then ...

junior_johnson.jpg

NASCAR now ...

bs16.jpg

Just because we choose to live smarter and protect ourselves is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I agree and not just industry, across the board, we are getting smarter.

Hockey then ...

Hockey now ...

Football then ...

Football now ...

NASCAR then ...

NASCAR now ...

Just because we choose to live smarter and protect ourselves is not a bad thing.

Those were cool. For entertainment's sake how about a few more? Maybe firemen, soldiers, bank tellers, airline security?... common keep em coming. Fun fun!

bphgravity

Those were cool. For entertainment's sake how about a few more? Maybe firemen, soldiers, bank tellers, airline security?... common keep em coming. Fun fun!

Well using my two examples:

Here is the original FORD MODEL T:

tbig.jpg

AND here is a new FORD MODEL GT:

ford-gt.jpg

Here are the typcial tools of a CIVIL WAR FIELD SURGEON:

DSC00018_small.JPG

AND here is the typcial instrucment of a CURRENT ARMY FIELD SURGEON:

robotic-surgery.jpg

I think we all get the idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.