Bonding remaining copper when PEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsparky

What is the general rule out there for bonding in your jurisdictions when the main copper water line has been cut out of a residence and PEX non-metallic used as a replacement? The copper stubs remaining at the faucets and other fixtures need to be bonded? Is there some general guideline or NEC citation for this situation?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Required bonding for the remaining metal is highly debatable. The bonding requirement is for metal [water] piping systems. What metal piping that remains does not constitute a system, but rather only portions thereof. Being so subjective to interpretation, AHJ's will likely vary on enforcement of the bonding requirement, even within their own ranks.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In NC the guidance we were given is if there is 50%+ then we needed to bond the metal pipe. Now if there is still copper coming in from the outside you still need to bond within 5' as that is an available electrode, assuming more than 10' of metal piping is in contact with the earth.

AZsparky

Bonding around Pex

Bonding around Pex

Thanks guys for the great replies. I think it is just another one of those gray areas, where some common sense should apply. The less copper remaining the less chance there is of it becoming energized. I really appreciate the feedback, as I always TRY to do it the right way.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC states that a metallic water piping system must be bonded. What would energize the metal stub outs?

Our Washington rules state isolated metal stub outs do not require bonding.

AZsparky

Pex Bonding

Pex Bonding

Hey Tom: thanks for your reply and input about your state. There are some areas in this house where the copper was left intact running through some inaccessible wall areas, so there is the same chance to energize in these areas as if it was an intact copper system. So, it's a bit of a cluster.

pete m.

FWIW, the remaining copper piping, if concealed, does not seem to me to offer much hazard.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.