Conductor Bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I don't think so. There slack there, I don't like it when people have the wires pulled tight on the terminals.

kwired

Electron manager
I question whether there should be separation of the neutral and equipment grounding conductors or if there should be a main breaker installed in that panel.

All the neatness in the world doesn't compensate for doing it wrong.

As far as the bends they are not that tight of a bend. I don't like to see bends made with pliers that are even less radius than that.

stew

Those neutrals need to be relocated to the neutral bar. As described this is a subpanel and the must be separated. Now someone hase to mess this all up with spices to get the shorties over to the other side! neat job

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with the other on ALL counts. No problem with the bending, but, if this is a subpanel as stated, I don't see the eq. ground with the feeder or the separation of neutrals and eq, grounds.

iMuse97

Yes, with others, why are their no EGCs? And where is the BIG GREEN WIRE (ie.BGW) required for this panel? Looks good, but that does nothing for functionality if grounds are non-existent and/or tied to the neutral bus.

Isn't the line neutral landed on the Ground bus? Not good. :(

Last edited:

stew

After looking at this again I see also that the neutral is landed on the ground but there is a flat busbar going from the neutral to the ground as if this was a service panel. the incoming neutral need to be relanded on the insulated neutral bus and the ground bar needs to be isolated from the neutral and the neutral isolated from the panel. All that being said it looks like the input conductors are some kind of nm due to the paper wrap. has the ground just been cut of short and not used? If it has and you can splice a piece on then you are good to go. otherwise you will need to reconductor this with a cable that has an egc.

kwired

Electron manager
I see red conductors at some of the cable connectors in the top of the box but have no clue where they end up. All the conductors landed on breakers are black.

stew

every time i look at this I see something new. the cables going out are mc I believe due to the fact that there seems to be mc connectors in the top of the panel. what happened to the grounds? none are landed on the grond bar. seems they have also been cut off. 2 of the cables are 12/3 and the reds just die and are not connected. No grounds,mixed grounds and neutrals,no incoming egec no egecs at the ground bar. ..Now the neat little wiring job is mostly just a mess of problems.

marti smith

Considering the method of labeling, this panel has probably been in there a while. Maybe the reds are spares, who knows. All Tony wanted was the wire bending info, and got an earful-but then, you knew that would happen!:D

tonype

Considering the method of labeling, this panel has probably been in there a while. Maybe the reds are spares, who knows. All Tony wanted was the wire bending info, and got an earful-but then, you knew that would happen!:D

I love getting an earful - that is how I learn. I already saw a couple of the things mentioned in this thread, but did not realize the extent of the problem. Thanks for the insight.

kwired

Electron manager
every time i look at this I see something new. the cables going out are mc I believe due to the fact that there seems to be mc connectors in the top of the panel. what happened to the grounds? none are landed on the grond bar. seems they have also been cut off. 2 of the cables are 12/3 and the reds just die and are not connected. No grounds,mixed grounds and neutrals,no incoming egec no egecs at the ground bar. ..Now the neat little wiring job is mostly just a mess of problems.

Maybe the cables are AC cable. I say this because it appears there may be paper filler sticking out on some of them. If that is the case AND if the feeder is also AC cable about the only thing wrong is the neutrals being bonded to the cabinet, The AC sheath is an EGC.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
One of the red wires on the left runs all the way down to the bottom of panel. You can just see it at the bottom left. I was going to say before I looked at it good, that it looked like it would be easier to just move the neutral over to the right. Now I see that it needs to anyway. I can barely make out the tags at the top, but one of them (2nd or 3rd form right) looks like it says GFI. I don't see a GFI breaker though.
Oh, and to stay on track, the wire bends look fine!:)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Looks like redheads poking through the connectors for each of the branch circuit. Is there any way the feeder coming in is also AC? It definitely looks like a cable assembly of some sort.

tonype

Looks like redheads poking through the connectors for each of the branch circuit. Is there any way the feeder coming in is also AC? It definitely looks like a cable assembly of some sort.

The "reds" were not used - either terminate unconnected within the panel - most appeared to be snipped and bend back up at the clamped connections into the panel

Status
Not open for further replies.