PLC and gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

There is an old gate at the facility that I work for that can only be used if you press the open and close button inside the control box where the motor and controls are housed. I am thinking of trying to write a plc program so that it is more user friendly than it currently is. There is currenty an old board in it that functions somewhat. I mention that because if I put a cpu in its place would it stand up to the elements (it will not be exposed directly to heat etc, but those conditions will surround it)? Any suggestions on writing the program? Thanks in advance. And I know my company wouldn't be interested in replacing it which is why I am thinking of doing this....

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Take a look at the "CLICK" from Automation Direct. Very user friendly and pretty inexpensive in my opinion. I've only used one for my sprinkler controller inside my shed so I can't comment on how they hold up outside in the elements.

Benton

I haven't use the Click yet but we have an AB that has worked for close to 20 years with no heat and no added ventilation. It is in a large dry enclosure.

How can it be more user friendly than Open/Close?

The reason that the open and close butoon is not user friendly is because the gate normaly opens automatically. So, if a truck pulls up to it someone has to come from wherever they are to open the gate for them.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most likely that "control board" is the loop detector, it detects subtle changes in the magnetic field of a loop of wire embedded in the road surface. A PLC or smart relay is not going to replace that feature. The "Open" button is likely just a manual override of the loop detector. If you don't like the location of the button, change it, or add another one, it could probably work in parallel. You could even get a simplistic keypad for a garage door opener and mount it to a post that makes it easier to get to, then you could set up a code to open the gate manually. I don't see what a PLC would do for you here.

Benton

H
The buttons don't work? The gate is supposed to open as someone approaches it? Or it is supposed to open via remote permission but doesn't so someone has to access the local buttons for manual operation? :?

The manual buttons (they're in the gate controller) work but like you said the remote controls are not doing what they are supposed to.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I have installed a few Moeller Easy PLCs. The Easy Soft programming is very user friendly.

I was able to write simple programming with no problem in ladder logic format. It had several inputs (push buttons, prox sensors, reed switches) and a few outputs (lights, motors, pneumatic cylinders). Works great. software even has simulation functions to prove your programming.

Saw one on Ebay just now $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.