Residential lighting in 2" by 4" soffit gable end

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I have had 3 people comment (two contractors and an electrician) on not using ballasted potlights in the soffit of a home due to the difficulty of changing out the ballast. In the 2 by 4 construction on the gable ends, I have asked several electrical suppliers what to use, and they only seem to have ballasted fixtures that can fit into such an shallow enclosure. The electripro magnetic ballasted fixtures I installed have a "lifetime" warranty on the ballast, and have MR-16 bulbs with them that i plan to replace with long life bulbs, but are MR-16 connections and bulbs effective for exterior lighting? I plan to put a little antioxidant on the bulb pins to ensure an good connnection. I hope they are adequate, but I have more soffits to highlight, and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for ballasted fixtures if the MR-16 bulbs do a better job than the screw in types that i may have to track down. Thanks again!

kwired

Electron manager
splice boxes, ballasts, any other accessories that may require future access must be accessable anyway so why is this a problem?

The best thing is to orient the housing so that anything reqiring access is in an easier location to access - place the ballast or splice box or whatever toward the wall of the building and not near the sofit facia so you do not have to turn around while standing on a ladder to see what you are doing when accessing it at a later time. Not a code requirement but you will be cussing at yourself if you are up there servicing it and did not consider this. I even try to do that with recessed lights over kitchen counters as much as possible because I have had to get into some that would have been easier if the fixture were to have been turned 180 degrees.

TNBaer

I certainly wouldn't use MR16s for outdoor residential lighting. If it's your own home and you don't mind changing out transformers, that's one thing, but it'll be a huge hassle for a homeowner down the line. Plus having to change out the bulbs constantly, no thanks.

powerplay

The MR-16 bulbs under a soffit are more temperature sensitive...or just do not last as long as halogen ones? I was told I could put in Xenon bulbs that could last longer into them also, but the builder doesn't like the "white" light from them.

TNBaer

The MR-16 bulbs under a soffit are more temperature sensitive...or just do not last as long as halogen ones? I was told I could put in Xenon bulbs that could last longer into them also, but the builder doesn't like the "white" light from them.

I don't think they should more heat sensitive....anymore than usual. I just hate low voltage halogen. It's on my "no-no" list. Lots of juice, little light, short life. No thanks.

Jacob S

How often are you guys finding the LV transformers on these cans going bad? If they are installed properly, ie. no installation surrounding them, I have not seen many issues.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have four MR-16 downlights in the soffits of my house. They're on a timer so they come on everyday of the year. They've been there for almost 15 years with their original transformers. The only thing that I've replaced, besides the lamps, are the sockets maybe once on each fixture.

kwired

Electron manager
I certainly wouldn't use MR16s for outdoor residential lighting. If it's your own home and you don't mind changing out transformers, that's one thing, but it'll be a huge hassle for a homeowner down the line. Plus having to change out the bulbs constantly, no thanks.

What do you recommend putting in the 2x4 dept he has to work with other than maybe something LED? Heat from roof on hot day could be a problem with that also.

If unit is dimmable dim it just a little bit and bulb life is increased dramatically.

I have recessed lights with 75 w par30 lamps all around my house. they are on photocell so they run every night as security lighting - I live in country no street lighting. I also have them on dimmers usually set at least to about 50 percent of full brightness. House is almost 7 years old and have not replaced a single lamp yet and they are on all night every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.