ppe solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

Our boss purchased coveralls for us to wear they are 8 cal cm2. that means we are at a level 2 ? Is there every day work pants ,shirt rated up to level 2 that we can wear all the time instead of putting on coveralls when needed ?
There is the chance people will cheat when they have to use ppe for a short time and fail to put it on .

If there is that type of ppe will it be as unconfortable as coveralls ?
I am looing at it as a electrian working with electricity keep ppe on all the time. Who wants to jump in and out of ppe ? Is it worth increasing alittle more than 8 cal ?

Rich Elec.

Yes, there is work clothing that could be purchased for everyday wear. But, I think that your boss has purchased the coveralls because OSHA requires him to provide his employees with proper PPE to protect against the hazards present at the work place. So, if he chose to provide coveralls, then his obligation is fulfilled. Now, you have the choice to purchase on your own with your own money any clothing that you wish.
You are worried that people will cheat and not wear the PPE. If they are in violation of a written company safety policy then they are on the road to being removed from the job or company.
Your statement, is it worth increasing a little more than 8 cal?
You need to properly evaluate your level of hazard. No guessing.

hawkeye23

When i say everyday pants and shirts I am talking about clothes with a level 2 8cal the same as the coveralls. Are there pants and shirts @ level2 ? Thats what we are required to dress in ppe 2 . There is a long spread from 8 - 25 cal and i thought raaising it to 11 or12 might be a good thing , just asking.

zog

Keep in mind that just wearing 8 cal/cm2 coveralls or shirt/pant combo does not equal HRC 2. Still need hard hat, arc rated face shield (Or hood), safety glasses, hearing protection, leather gloves and shoes.

I have seen other companies use this approach, putting people in daily wear 8 cal/cm2 clothing thinking the workers are dressed in HRC 2 all the time so they don't have to go "suit up" to do a HRC 2 or less task, they always forget about the other requirements.

Really how often are the workers being exposed to arc flash hazards? For most cases having an HRC 2 "kit" is the best solution, but you have to be careful about what they are wearing for everyday clothing, no synthetic fibers.

renosteinke

"no synthetic fibers"

I think that statement ought not have been made; it's far too incomplete to fix with a simple edit.

It's wrong on the first count, as there are plenty of synthetic fibers that are far more protective than any natural fiber; Nomex is but one.

It's wrong on the second count, as it implies that 'natural' is good. This ignores the unsuitability of extremely lightweight cotton or silk.

Finally, it errs in presuming that fibers are relevant. Tyvek is a material used in many sorts of PPE that is not a woven product - and is totally unsuitable for arc-related PPE. Mylar isn't any sort of fiber at all, yet a simply mylar sheet provides zero protection (while applied as a film can add great value).

I really wish I had held on to my old, uncoated asbestos coat. (I don't think the aluminized asbestos one would be such a great thing around live power).

zog

I was talking about normal clothing the people wear to work everyday, you wear nomex around the house?

I see your point, the statement I made was generic and assumed people knew what I was refering to. My point was, if you are providing coveralls you need to be sure the workers are not wearing materials underneath the FR clothing that could present a hazard such as polyester blend t-shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.