NEC 210.60(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTippets

1]How do I get a formal interpretation of code from NFPA?

2] I have an inspector interpreting NEC 210.60(B) to require that any outlet behind a bed in a student housing bedroom be "suitably protected" with either a cover or be recessed to prevent a cord from being crimped. The architect wants to fight it. Is this a legitimate interpretation of the code? I've done it for hotels but have done several student housing projects (over 3000 beds) and have never had to do this before.

eprice

I think the inspector is correct. Dormitories are listed in the title of 210.60. Student housing would be a dormitory. If the receptacles are located behind a bed, I think (B) would apply. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems pretty clear to me.

pete m.

Are the receptacles already installed or is this in the plan review stage?

You can request a formal interpretation from NFPA but chances are you will only get a staff opinion. That being said, I really don't see room for interpretation in that section because of the use of the words "shall be" in the pertinent part of 210.60(B).

Pete

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Click HERE for a form but don't hold your breath, FI's are few and far between.

Roger

eprice

TTippets,

Utah has adopted the 2008 NEC, but is the architect perhaps looking in an earlier edition? Dormitories were added to 210.60 in the 2008. If the architect is referring to an earlier edition, that could cause some confusion.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The inspector has to inspect to the code cycle the job was bid on.

eprice

The inspector has to inspect to the code cycle the job was bid on.

True, but the 2008 NEC was adopted in Utah about two years ago. I brought the question up with the thought that the architect possibly may not have kept his electrical code book current.

bphgravity

No, not at all.

The inspector has to inspect to the code the permits were pulled under.

You also have to watch out for the difference between "permit application submitted" versus "permit issued".

Some jurisdictions will assign a permit number at time of application & document submittal. Others assign the permit number at permit issuance. It can make a signifigant difference especially in jurisdictions where plan review and permit issuance takes weeks or months follwoing submital.

Status
Not open for further replies.