Code questions for the primary and secondary of transformer cable and equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

I had a few code related questions in regards to the sizing of cable and equipment on the secondary of 480-208/120V transformer.

1) I know a circuit breaker is required to be close to the secondary of the transformer but what about a case where the main circuit breaker in a panel located on the secondary of the transformer located 95ft away is serving as the secondary protection? Can this breaker in the panel serve as the secondary protection or is this to far away?

2) Can the "next size up" allowance be used between the cable and seconary breaker on a transformer. For instance if the secondary breaker for a 113kVA transformer is sized at 400A can a 500MCM cable rated at 380A be used on the secondary?

On the primary of the transformer

1) Can the transformer be located any distance from the primary breaker in a panel. For instance can it be 100's of feet away? Would another breaker at the transformer be required? Maybe just for disconnecting purposes?

2) If the primary breaker is increaed for inrush then the cable size must also be increased as well to match the breaker? Can the "next size up" rule be used on the primary of the transformer?

raider1

Staff member
I had a few code related questions in regards to the sizing of cable and equipment on the secondary of 480-208/120V transformer.

1) I know a circuit breaker is required to be close to the secondary of the transformer but what about a case where the main circuit breaker in a panel located on the secondary of the transformer located 95ft away is serving as the secondary protection? Can this breaker in the panel serve as the secondary protection or is this to far away?

95' away from the transformer is going to be too far away to comply with the secondary conductor protection requirements of 240.21(C)

2) Can the "next size up" allowance be used between the cable and seconary breaker on a transformer. For instance if the secondary breaker for a 113kVA transformer is sized at 400A can a 500MCM cable rated at 380A be used on the secondary?

No the allowances in 240.4(B) are not permitted to be used on secondary conductors. (See 240.21(C))

On the primary of the transformer

1) Can the transformer be located any distance from the primary breaker in a panel. For instance can it be 100's of feet away? Would another breaker at the transformer be required? Maybe just for disconnecting purposes?

Under the NEC prior to the 2011 edition there is no requirement for a disconnecting means within sight from the transformer.

2) If the primary breaker is increaed for inrush then the cable size must also be increased as well to match the breaker? Can the "next size up" rule be used on the primary of the transformer?

240.4(B) would apply to the primary overcurrent protective device and the primary conductors.

Chris

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Under the NEC prior to the 2011 edition there is no requirement for a disconnecting means within sight from the transformer.
There is still no absolute requirement for an 'in sight' disconnect, if proper labeling is provided.

raider1

Staff member
There is still no absolute requirement for an 'in sight' disconnect, if proper labeling is provided.

Correct, in fact I see the requirement in 450.14 being meet with the label 99% of the time.

For what it is worth I think the code change for 450.14 is an unnecessary change.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.