HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM 150W LAMPS TROUBLESHOOTING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am investigating three exterior weatherproof highpressure sodium 150w lights with 120v supply input. Customer had complained that the lights will come on and then off and repeat this on off sequence. The three lights are powered with (1) 120v circuit consisting of 10 gauge leads. The supply branch routing to the lights are underground in a 1/2 inch rigid metalic conduit approximately 100 feet more or less from the building structure and is controlled via a photocell located on the building where the conduit exits the building. It is a 20amp branch circuit. The main conduit terminates in a wp round j-box with one fixture stem mounted on the round j-box. The other two fixtures, one to the right and left of the main round j-box are supported via 1/2 rigid metalic conduit with lb type fittings and stem mounted on the threaded lb ftgs.
I thought the photocell may be defective so I bypassed the photcell and powered the lights directly to try and see what was taking place. All three lights initially came on. After about 1 to 2 minutes the fixture on the left would stop working. As you watch the left fixture, you can see it try and restart again. When It does the fixture on the right would stop working and the fixture on the left would get to what seems to be full elumination. While this was happening you could see the fixture on the right trying to restart and then the left fixture would go out again while the right fixture was nearing full elumination. ---and back and forth.
The center light remained eluminated the entire time. All are powered via the one 120v supply spliced together in the center j-box. I am no expert at high pressure sodium lamps and am a bit puzzled at what is happening with these lights.
I looked at each splice for clean connections and they look ok. The ballast reflect 3.5amp npf and 1.5amp hpf for use with 150w hps lamps. The capacitors in these ballast are not installed.
There is some water in side the main conduit tube that you can see when opening the center j-box but no evidence of water is reflected on the connection splices in the main box and the inside of the main box is relatively dry. The conduit and wire to the lights has been installed for years. I don't know how long. Apologies for the length of this question and hope I passed on all the details. Thank you in adjvance

cadpoint

Turn off the circuit and blow some air in the conduits, it will be awash with water sounds like they forgot to ream the conduit and they opened some wires.

You fighting the inrush of your devices and the blinking is your faults!

A meggar will proof what's good!

High pressure sodium continued

High pressure sodium continued

If water is the culprit, why then the center light stays eluminated and the left and right mounted lights from center are the only lights turning off and on. I will still blow the water out of the conduit and try this but don't comprehend the center light without malfunction if water being the culprit.
Any more light to be shed on this matter?

kwired

Electron manager
Install new lamps in the fixtures that cycle on and off. This is a normal activity when lamp nears end of life.

As HPS lamps get more hours on them they draw more current. Eventually the current gets higher than what the ballast can maintain and the arc is extinguished. After a short period the pressure inside the lamp is low enough that the arc can be re-ignited and the process starts all over. Initially the lamp will go out maybe only once or twice per hour but the cycle will get shorter over time and eventually be only a few minutes per cycle.

water is normal in underground conduit - that is why you must use conductors rated for wet locations.

As others have noted, cycling is normal at the end of life of the lamp, unless they have an end-of-life cutout - in which case, they'll just cycle a few times then extinguish.

I'll third the other comments - change the lamps.

(For future reference, MH lamps as well as HPS do this also.)

Last edited:
More on high pressure sodium lighting trouble.

More on high pressure sodium lighting trouble.

I will be blowing the water out of the conduit on 07/29/11 and I will replace both lamps in the fixtures that are giving me trouble. I will provide feed back to this site with my findings. I would also like to indicate that I removed the lamp out of the fixture that stays lit and installed it into one of the fixtures that comes on and off and it still starts and stops. I was expecting to accomplish more investigation on this earlier when I originally posted the probem on Mike's site but had to dissapear for a while. My apologies. Thank you all for your feedback.
Still learning and always will be.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Save yourself some time and forget about the water in the conduit. It will probably be back before you get finished changing the bad bulbs...
As an employee of a utility, I can agree with the others on end of life cycling. We change bulbs out every day that are doing the same thing you are describing. You don't even have to take our word for it. check out the paragraph on "High Pressure Sodium Lamps"

http://www.stoncolighting.com/library/TechData/Troubleshooting.pdf

kwired

Electron manager
Save yourself some time and forget about the water in the conduit. It will probably be back before you get finished changing the bad bulbs...

Agree. Just a couple weeks ago I buried conduit on Friday, pulled wire through it on Monday. Pull ropes were semi saturated. Did not have any rain during that time, did have hot, humid weather. Humid air in cool underground pipe will condense.

High Pressure Sodium feedback as promised. (Problem solved)

High Pressure Sodium feedback as promised. (Problem solved)

I did attempt to blow the water out of the conduit and did not get to far with that. The conduit has been in the ground for some time. Sediment issues probably. I did change the lamps on the culprit fixtures and problem solved.
Thank you.
Champion
Still learning.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Heres a tip for you. Change your HPS lamps every 4 years if they burn dusk to dawn. The lumens decrease as they age and if you wait until they start to cycle you loose quite a bit of light. Eventually they will no longer cycle and won't start, and the starter will be damaged.

kwired

Electron manager
Heres a tip for you. Change your HPS lamps every 4 years if they burn dusk to dawn. The lumens decrease as they age and if you wait until they start to cycle you loose quite a bit of light. Eventually they will no longer cycle and won't start, and the starter will be damaged.

Does HPS have decreased lumens as it ages? I know MV and MH do but never was under impression that HPS did, or was not a very significant loss if there is a loss.

I do know HPS draws more current as it ages, is that extra current given up as heat or does it actually produce more light (and probably more heat)?

Status
Not open for further replies.