Is it required to carry an Electrical license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

Recently my employer has started checking for current electrical licenses. Somehow 10% of the crews had let their license lap and we had to lay them off. Does anyone know for sure where it is written a JW must carry a license on them and who enforces it, employer or Inspector. I live in the state of Minnesota if that makes any difference.

growler

Recently my employer has started checking for current electrical licenses. Somehow 10% of the crews had let their license lap and we had to lay them off. Does anyone know for sure where it is written a JW must carry a license on them and who enforces it, employer or Inspector. I live in the state of Minnesota if that makes any difference.

About 25 years ago I worked for a company that employed several electricians with a big turn over rate. One day one of the electricians was envolved in an auto accident and it was discovered he was driving on an expired license. They called everyone in and start to check for valid drivers licenses and to their surprise only about half the crew actually had a licensed that was valid to operate a motor vehicle in that state.

To keep records straight a company should keep records of all licenses required and the expiration date. It the only way to protect yourself.

renosteinke

It's usually a state regulated thing, though I know Missouri does it by county, while Nevada does it by city. Unfortunately, it also means defining what is a 'license,' and what it means to 'carry one.' The exact nature of your job also matters.

For example .... one industrial establishment near me suddenly 'discovered' that the local laws required every person on an electrical contractors' crew to have a license- be it as a master, journeyman, or apprentice. The several contractors were all found to have several crew members who did not have the local license. (This isn't as bad as it might sound; the place is right where five states meet).

The company was set to have all manner of fun with the contractors ... until it was pointed out that the same law required their own plant maintenance people to carry 'industrial electrician' licenses. Nevermind :)

As for 'carrying' one .... it might be enough to simply have submitted your paperwork, or to have been issued the appropriate license. The situation can, however, change. I actually had an inspector ask to see mine (he was certain he had caught a scoflaw, and was stunned when I produced one).

A related issue arises on union jobs. In those, it's common for a union representative to ask to see your union card. Such a document would usually be in addition to any required license.

Can having a license in a neighboring area meet the requirement? That depends on who's asking, and what the local rules are. Even without having the local 'paper,' being able to produce something is often a real help, assuring the others that they're dealing with a professional.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Here in Wa State we are required to carry on our person our license and photo ID

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It is depending on the state and local juridictions, I've had three states that wanted to see my license when on site, one was Indiana, The others was in Alabama and Florida, but I think they were just checking to see if I was licensed because I was from out of state. (by the way, I was licensed in those states, so there was no issues.)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's usually a state regulated thing, though I know Missouri does it by county, while Nevada does it by city. Unfortunately, it also means defining what is a 'license,' and what it means to 'carry one.' The exact nature of your job also matters.

For example .... one industrial establishment near me suddenly 'discovered' that the local laws required every person on an electrical contractors' crew to have a license- be it as a master, journeyman, or apprentice. The several contractors were all found to have several crew members who did not have the local license. (This isn't as bad as it might sound; the place is right where five states meet).

The company was set to have all manner of fun with the contractors ... until it was pointed out that the same law required their own plant maintenance people to carry 'industrial electrician' licenses. Nevermind :)

As for 'carrying' one .... it might be enough to simply have submitted your paperwork, or to have been issued the appropriate license. The situation can, however, change. I actually had an inspector ask to see mine (he was certain he had caught a scoflaw, and was stunned when I produced one).

A related issue arises on union jobs. In those, it's common for a union representative to ask to see your union card. Such a document would usually be in addition to any required license.

Can having a license in a neighboring area meet the requirement? That depends on who's asking, and what the local rules are. Even without having the local 'paper,' being able to produce something is often a real help, assuring the others that they're dealing with a professional.

So, your answer in short is, "I dunno." :huh:

So, your answer in short is, "I dunno." :huh:

Now thats funny! lol. I dont know about minnosota either, I know my area requires you to have both the license and photo id. Except for when you work for the employer of state or county or city buildings, they are not required to have a license.
Funny how that law works, I did hear of them trying to change that maybe in the future.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Here in Wa State we are required to carry on our person our license and photo ID
Yes if you working for a contractor you are required to have your license on your person. But if you work for a building owner, such as a hotel, school district, you are not required to be licensed, but still must take out a permit.
The rules vary widely by state and city.

renosteinke

"I don't know."

Very well said, given the lack of details in the OP.

Yet, this question is asked pretty often, in differing ways. Lots of folks search forums for information - I know I do - and I feel a 'more complete' answer is deserved. You can't ask the right questions if you don't know what questions to ask. I think the issue begged a more complete response than would be serve had we know the particulars of the OP's situation, and given an answer tailored to him alone.

"Here in XXX we're .... " is perhaps a better answer, but one that requires several replies before the picture emerges: there is no universal answer. Again, for the man who spends his entire life in one place, it may come as a shock that things are not the same everywhere. For a good 500 miles around me, the very existence of permits is considerd a quaint idea that strange folks have elsewhere. Heck, I can actually recall the time where we managed to build the greatest building, dams, and reach the moon - all without the assistance of all the bureaucracies and codes that we now consider 'essential.'

My latest trade mag has an 'ask the expert' feature. In this issue, the expert answers by saying "there's no NEC requirement ..." While technically true, the answer was misleading, as it was incomplete. For the particular question, the matter did have a definite requirement, one addressed in every 'model' code I've seen - it just wasn't the 'electric' code. Saying there's 'no requirement' when there is one is misleading - and highlights the need to know more than just the NEC.

I really hate those sorts of answers. As far as I'm concerned, they're even worse than a deliberate lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.