if the voltage across poles at dryer recep. is 215v the service voltage must be?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

if the voltage across poles at dryer recep. is 215v the service voltage must be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

Why would you bring 480Y/277 to an apartment building, you would have transform 99% of it to 208Y/120 to use it. That burns up money and space.

It was mentioned 480Y/277 + 208Y/120 with transformer or TWO SERVICES.

Why would you bring in 480v?
Central chiller on roof or basement that provides cooling for all the building or buildings in complex. Running 4 fast elevators serving 40 stories. Parking facility lighting.

kwired

Electron manager
Apartment buildings can vary on incoming service based on when they were built. Newer ones are 277/480 or 120/208 as they are commercial. Older ones are 120/240 delta....I truly dislike the wild leg!

All single family homes around here are 120/240 services.

Central chiller on roof or basement that provides cooling for all the building or buildings in complex. Running 4 fast elevators serving 40 stories. Parking facility lighting.

That is not an apartment building it is a hotel where the guests stay for long time - even years:lol:

Seriously I can see the need to bring 277/480 into the building if it is a rather large building and especially if it has elevators, fire pump, centralized heating or cooling, and things like that.

I don't see much need for a 240 delta for apartment building. What are you going to use the wild leg for besides HVAC? Maybe in a rather large facility but then 277/480 again would likely make more sense.

iwire

Staff member

We do large buildings like that, all those items can run on 208.

A typical large hotel we have done may have a 4000 amp service.

Status
Not open for further replies.