help with luminaire tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrestless

Guys, could someone help me out with this question. Have a 34 ft ceiling fixtures are pendant mount fixtures mounted at 27 ft aff can my whip be longer than 6 ft if i carry the same size conductor as supply ? Getting confused withan artcle in luminair section as far as fixture tap

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 6' limitation only applies to 3/8" FMC. If your whip is 1/2" FMC or larger then the length is unlimited but other rules will apply like support and the need for an EGC. A fixture tap is a different issue.

ufer

Could you explain fixture tap. Does 410.117c mean that 12-2 mc with EGC is limited to 6 ft. for flourescent fixtures from box to fixture or fixture to fixture.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could you explain fixture tap. Does 410.117c mean that 12-2 mc with EGC is limited to 6 ft. for flourescent fixtures from box to fixture or fixture to fixture.
Thanks

410.117(C) allows you to use smaller tap conductors to a fixture from a junction box. This can be in a raceway like FMC or AC or MC cable. If your circuit is 20 amps and you use #12 MC cable then you would not have a tap and this rule would not apply. As an example, for 6' fluorescent fixture whips you can use #18 AWG conductors tapped to the 20 amp circuit as long as you don't exceed 6'.

410.117 Wiring.
(A) General. Conductors that have insulation suitable for the temperature encountered shall be used.
(B) Circuit Conductors. Branch-circuit conductors that have an insulation suitable for the temperature encountered shall be permitted to terminate in the luminaire.
(C) Tap Conductors. Tap conductors of a type suitable for the temperature encountered shall be permitted to run from the luminaire terminal connection to an outlet box placed at least 300 mm (1 ft) from the luminaire. Such tap conductors shall be in suitable raceway or Type AC or MC cable of at least 450 mm (18 in.) but not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) in length.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
As an example, for 6' fluorescent fixture whips you can use #18 AWG conductors tapped to the 20 amp circuit as long as you don't exceed 6'.

Doesn't 210.19(A)(4) limit the tap conductor to not smaller than #14, unless the tap is made with a fixture wire or flexible cord?

And doesn't 240.5 allow a #18 fixture wire tap from a 20A circuit up to 50 feet?

I'm not sure I'm reading these sections correctly.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Doesn't 210.19(A)(4) limit the tap conductor to not smaller than #14, unless the tap is made with a fixture wire or flexible cord?

And doesn't 240.5 allow a #18 fixture wire tap from a 20A circuit up to 50 feet?

I read the same way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That's the way I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.