Exhaust fan motor power feed raceway or Mc Cable in side od duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

maghazadeh

we are geting ready to run power to 10-to-12 Exhaust fans (1/3 HP, 120 V) and G.C. does not want roof penetrations for couduit. Exhaust fans have a
3/4" chase to feed the motor through the the curb, but in some cases the ducts are bigger than the gravity dampers so G.C. wants us to run MC cable through the duct by penetrating it. I do not feel comfortable to run power in the duct and can not find anything in the NEC. would anybody know code section that does not allow this kind of installation. Thank you in advance for your help.

kwired

Electron manager
What is being exhausted? Wiring method used could be effected by this.

Smoke producing characteristics of cable or conductor insulation is not the same situation as it is with a duct moving environmental air if that is what you are concerned about.

maghazadeh

What is being exhausted? Wiring method used could be effected by this.

Smoke producing characteristics of cable or conductor insulation is not the same situation as it is with a duct moving environmental air if that is what you are concerned about.

Sorry Kwired, I forgot to say, these fans are for restrooms. Thanks for your reply.

kwired

Electron manager
Read through 300.22.

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting.

If the duct is used to transport dust, loose stock, or flammable vapors then 300.22(A) does not allow any wiring method in the duct.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sorry Kwired, I forgot to say, these fans are for restrooms. Thanks for your reply.

Read through 300.22.

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting.

If the duct is used to transport dust, loose stock, or flammable vapors then 300.22(A) does not allow any wiring method in the duct.

These could be present in a restroom!:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.