disposal wired direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

Any restriction on direct wiring od a disposal with nm emerging from the sheetrock under the sink? Seems ok as long as its not subject to damage but just curious what others think.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you wire it direct without a local disconnect means then you'll have to put a lock-out device on the breaker. The plumber will curse you if and when he comes to service the unit and then you have the problem of explaining how to reset a breaker or use a lock-out device to a HO. Pant load of fun. :p

stew

this is actually an exisiting install. The home inspector called it as exposed romex. have to go look at it. but if the romex isnt hanging all over the place I cant see a problem either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always wire it direct but I afford some small protection by sleeving the nm with carflex. I realize carflex is not protection from damage but what could you possible do under a sink for that to be an issue. I have seen many use just nm but I don't like it. I guess it is an AHJ call.

kwired

Electron manager
If you wire it direct without a local disconnect means then you'll have to put a lock-out device on the breaker. The plumber will curse you if and when he comes to service the unit and then you have the problem of explaining how to reset a breaker or use a lock-out device to a HO. Pant load of fun. :p

How many disposals have you seen that don't have a switch right near the disposal? Does the user have to turn breaker on when they want to use it and then turn breaker off again when they are done?

There has been debate on this forum before as to whether or not a decora switch that does not have on/off marked on it is an acceptable disconnect, but other single pole switches are marked.

Plumbers and breaker lock-out devices are never used in the same sentence.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How many disposals have you seen that don't have a switch right near the disposal? Does the user have to turn breaker on when they want to use it and then turn breaker off again when they are done?
What if it's a batch feed type disposal ? No separate switch is required.
Plumbers and breaker lock-out devices are never used in the same sentence.
Good point !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.