NFPA Color Coding COnduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it says to color code conduit per NFPA does that refer to oinly fire alarm or would it be other systems too? What section would I find that info in? Thanks.

nhfire77

If it says to color code conduit per NFPA does that refer to oinly fire alarm or would it be other systems too? What section would I find that info in? Thanks.

Per nfpa what?? If there isn't a number listed, that is a loaded statement. Conduit/box color coding is job specific. 72 or any other code I know of, does not state conduit or boxes must be red for FA. The breaker and/or lock has to be red though. 4.4.1.4.2.2

The AHJ may have a local rule for that.

renosteinke

One division of my employer has started making colored conduit, and they are presenting the product as if there was some 'rule' defining the uses of each color. This is pure marketing, and has no basis in fact.

After all, you can paint conduit any color you wish! So why couldn't you use red conduit for the lighting and blue for the receptacles?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Per nfpa what?? If there isn't a number listed, that is a loaded statement. Conduit/box color coding is job specific. 72 or any other code I know of, does not state conduit or boxes must be red for FA. The breaker and/or lock has to be red though. 4.4.1.4.2.2

The AHJ may have a local rule for that.

Ok so your saying there should be a nfpa reference/ section number listed? Why? Because certain parts of nfpa listed different requirements for colors etc? Thanks

nhfire77

Ok so your saying there should be a nfpa reference/ section number listed? Why? Because certain parts of nfpa listed different requirements for colors etc? Thanks

Well, it sounded that way, what I meant was there is no such thing as doing something per NFPA specs, unless they meant all of the 100's of codes. It's vague and unsupported by anything concrete.

99.9% sure: You won't find conduit color requirement in any nfpa code.

WIMaster

99.9% sure: You won't find conduit color requirement in any nfpa code.

I agree 100%

We have been using color coded EMT on some jobs and have made up our own coding system. All the AHJs have had to say about it is that it looks nice.

Other than FA EMT being red (not required in ANY code I know of) the coding has not been consistent and has been up to whomever is running the job.

Ask for an NFPA # and article #.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We paint the box and use red pipe for FA, other color painted box for other syst. then stock pipe.

ron

760.30 requires fire alarm circuits to be identified at terminal and junctions, so many people paint the J-boxes. You could paint the conduit too if you liked.
Some AHJ's might like something specific, and it might be a job specification requirement.

Code just requires identification at terminal and junctions

Status
Not open for further replies.