pulling tension

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What would be the pulling tension on 6-350MCM and 1-4/0 thwn cu in a 4" sch 40 PVC. 2-90s and 1-45. Less than 200'.

The way the pull is set up I may not be able to use my F250 as normal and need to make allowance for a puller, or at borrow/rent one of adequate size.

I need to pull out the existing 3-500 and 1-2/0 cu.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a pulling calculator here.
You will have to be very careful of the rope cutting through the bends if they are PVC. Also don't forget to calculate the sidewall pressure to make sure the conductors won't be damaged.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
What would be the pulling tension on 6-350MCM and 1-4/0 thwn cu in a 4" sch 40 PVC. 2-90s and 1-45. Less than 200'.

The way the pull is set up I may not be able to use my F250 as normal and need to make allowance for a puller, or at borrow/rent one of adequate size.

I need to pull out the existing 3-500 and 1-2/0 cu.

When your using a truck, how do you know you havn't exceeded the allowable tension? :eek:hmy:

Occupation
EC - retired
When your using a truck, how do you know you havn't exceeded the allowable tension? :eek:hmy:

Good question. I suppose when I have to use 4 low.

We usually pull by hand. If the F250 is involved it is mostly loooong straight runs with maybe two long sweep fiberglass 90s and never mimimum sized conduit. Not often we have to pull 7 larger conductors in a raceway of any distance.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure our Greenlee tugger would do it, I don't know if Greenlee has different models or what not and what model ours is, but it's done pulls harder than that....

I wouldn't try something like the Maxxis puller that uses a right angle drill, if that's what you're getting at...

I hope you have rigid 90's well anchored in the ground.

Occupation
EC - retired
I'm sure our Greenlee tugger would do it, I don't know if Greenlee has different models or what not and what model ours is, but it's done pulls harder than that....

I wouldn't try something like the Maxxis puller that uses a right angle drill, if that's what you're getting at...

I hope you have rigid 90's well anchored in the ground.

Yup, that is what I was getting at. 800 mdp we need to upgrade to 1000. Both ends in concrete slabs. Front end loader will get the old out if need be. It is plastic comming up. No idea what is below.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
There is a pulling calculator here.
You will have to be very careful of the rope cutting through the bends if they are PVC. Also don't forget to calculate the sidewall pressure to make sure the conductors won't be damaged.

Thanks Don that is a great tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.