Max wire size for solid conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I hate to make a whole post over this but I can't find the section in the NEC that requires conductors larger than a certain size to be stranded. Im sure its in article 300, and I believe its any wires larger than #8. Help is appreciated, thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps Table 8 in the back of the book might provide your answer. It shows an option for stranded or solid, for wires #8 and smaller, and it only shows stranded for larger wires.

Npstewart

Thanks guys, I actually went to table 8 as charlie suggested immediately after I posted. However, 310.3 was the code section I had in my head.

Thanks Everyone

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#10 or smaller in raceways can be solid or stranded. Solid conductors can be any size if not in a raceway. Many guys use #4 solid copper for GEC's.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I think after some size it isn't called "wire" anymore. I had to provide a client with info on how to monitor current a 2,000 amp bus bar. I have another client who's designed a system where the DC bus has a maximum current of 3,000 amps ...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think you meant to say "Many WEALTHY guys use #4 solid copper for GEC's". :cool:

You might need to use it for a CEE. I use aluminum except for the ground rods which I use #6 stranded. I was referring to some of the info that I've gleaned from the forum and elsewhere with guys use solid copper for GEC's. To date I have never used it. :happyno:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think you meant to say "Many WEALTHY guys use #4 solid copper for GEC's". :cool:

I use 4 solid all the time to water pipes. Lately , of course, the water lines have not been metallic, however on remo's there is often copper. I didn't learn til recently that bare solid cost more than thhn.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use 4 solid all the time to water pipes. Lately , of course, the water lines have not been metallic, however on remo's there is often copper. I didn't learn til recently that bare solid cost more than thhn.
Are you required to use # 4 solid or is it just your choice ???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you required to use # 4 solid or is it just your choice ???

My choice. I use #6 solid to the ground rods. I believe it is the way everyone around here does it. On a 400 amp service I use #2 THwn stranded.

I'm sure that Goldstar is asking because no one here use solid bare copper except for pools.

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm sure that Goldstar is asking because no one here use sold bare copper except for pools.
That is correct. Why pay for something you're not required to provide. Don't misunderstand, I don't take the cheap and dirty way out when it comes to installing services. Unless I have to match something existing I generally use Sq D or CH breaker panels. But if the code allows me to use stranded # 4 THHN copper wire to bond to a water line then I'm not that nice of a guy where I'll spend the extra $$ to use solid copper. By the same token there are guys in my area that will only use copper wire and PVC for their services. Their prices will almost always be higher than mine because I'll use ALUM-SE cable. Both jobs are code compliant. Both jobs pass inspection. But, my material was less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.