Pressure or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
when it comes to the rule on pipe carrying water does the code say anything about the type whether it is pressurized water pipe or any water pipe located near an electrical panel having a clearance of six inches

cadpoint

In a H2O pipe it could be about any pressure but generally in the 40-60 lb's/in at the meter in front of the structure it services. House drawn well's generally can run the same per the PSI required.

A H2O pipe is not just "picked up" cause it near any other panel.

Grounding or Bonding to the H2O pipe is usually done from the Service Point of distrubition of the "Main" Service.

The H2O Pipe has to be 10 foot and in ground as it enters the building to qualify for bonding at the service point.

In bound pottable water is considered pressurized, Drain or waste is not considered pressurizied.

no what i am asking is that if a drain passes in the area of an electrical panel is that against code i am aware that a water line cannot but can a drain or vent and where can i find that in the code

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Could you explain your question a little for me ?
Are you referencing 110.26(F) ?
I may just be in a "funk", but I don't recognize the 6" you reference.

This is coming from an inspector that if a water pipe is running parallel to a panel it must be 6" away from the face or leading edge of the panel and if the line is running perpendicular to the panel it must be 6" from the edge of the panel

cadpoint

Passing over a Panel is with-in the Panel's "zone" (or our space) which we own or have to protect up to the ceiling or up to or including a drop ceiling where the rule's change.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
which claim ?

cadpoints "claim".. 110.26(F)

The " 6" inspector's claim" ? I know no NEC Code that has a 6" pipe rule.
If the pipe meets the requirements in 110.26(F) it's good to go.
It can be 1/2" away from the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is the dedicated space requirement from the NECH, no 6" rule, There is a 6' rule:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.