receptacles @ indoor basketball court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Gough

In a single family dwelling what is the NEC intent regarding required receptacles and spacing in an indoor basketball court? I can't see using standard room spacing in such an area.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In a single family dwelling what is the NEC intent regarding required receptacles and spacing in an indoor basketball court? I can't see using standard room spacing in such an area.

They don't have any intent for a basketball court. They just have spacing requirements for dwellings, and if it is a SF dwelling, you have to go by the code.
Welcome!

hmspe

Occupation
PE
I'd say it would depend on whether the Authority Having Jurisdiction considers the basketball court a kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room. I'd suggest asking the AHJ.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd say it would depend on whether the Authority Having Jurisdiction considers the basketball court a kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room. I'd suggest asking the AHJ.

I'd say it would depend on whether that portion of the structure is considered a dwelling.

If a swimming pool is to be added to a dwelling, most would say the pool itself and other associated items are not a dwelling.

It is more like commercial property with dwelling areas, especially large mansions that have all kinds of non typical dwelling areas.

joebell

I agree speaking with the AHJ is the best way to handle this situation.

renosteinke

The 'standard' spacing is for "habitable spaces." It all comes down to whether the AHJ sees that space as 'habitable.'

As I see it, the best you can hope for is that the AHJ will see it -because of the motion of players precluding the placement of furniture- as a 'hallway,' and let you go 20ft. between receptacles, rather than 12ft.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Well, you wouldn't think so, but the code reference does include "recreation" rooms. And although its a basketball court today, it could be a huge living room tomorrow.

construct

Well, you wouldn't think so, but the code reference does include "recreation" rooms. And although its a basketball court today, it could be a huge living room tomorrow.

I agree that it would meet the definition of a 'recreation room' as stated in 210.52(A) 2005 NEC. That said.....I think the intentention of receptacle spacing requirements is for convenience and to eliminate the use of permanently installed extension cords.

I also agree with the others who have said it would be an AHJ call. Logic would say that the proposed current use would not include the placement of furniture, the use of lamps, televisions, fish aquariums, etc. But as you said steve66, the next occupant could use it for something quite different.

If I inspect a dwelling unit and am told that a room is an office but it has a closet and a compliant emergency escape window, then I call it a bedroom, although the current occupant will be using it as an office. So.......again, an AHJ call. :?

kwired

Electron manager
Someone could also fill this basketball court with tables and chairs for their daughters wedding reception, now it could be a 'place of assembly'. Better not use NM cable for the receptacles that are placed every 12 feet.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Some one could also come in later saw out the floor and put in an in ground pool.

Someone could also fill this basketball court with tables and chairs for their daughters wedding reception, now it could be a 'place of assembly'. Better not use NM cable for the receptacles that are placed every 12 feet.

Of course the install wouldn't have to take these possibilities into consideration. You don't have to assume its a place of assembly, and you don't have to make the install suitable for a swimming pool.

But the code does say receptacles have to meet the spacing requirements in rooms like kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, librarys, dens, sunrooms, bedrooms, recreation rooms, or similar rooms.

And I think part of that requirment may be because the CMP's realized room uses and furniture needs do change frequently.

I know we don't have to plan everything out for what might happen in the future. But you also can't just say "They won't need furniture or electric appliances in a basketball court." as an excuse to completely ignore a code rule.

renosteinke

One cannot peer into a crystal ball and determine what the occupant will REALLY do, nor can we prepare for EVERY contingency.

Nor can one ignore the circumstances specific to every situation.

Up at Tahoe, I have seen massive hotel-size homes with pro-grade handball courts, movie theaters, libraries, greenhouses, work shops, recording studios, wine cellars, and heaven alone knows what else. I have also seen 'garage-mahals' that were ultimate man-caves, with every creature comfort imaginable.

"Can" someone do something? Sure they can .... but at some point we need to get real. A basketball court, of 'pro' dimensions, isn't really well suited to conversion into much else. Who wants to hang a chandelier from the net hoop?

Only someone on the scene can make the call. There's a lot to be said for looking at things in context. The question is not whether a room can possibly be used as a 'habitable' room, but whether it is intended to be one by design.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Only someone on the scene can make the call. There's a lot to be said for looking at things in context.

That I agree with completely.

The question is not whether a room can possibly be used as a 'habitable' room, but whether it is intended to be one by design.

That one I'm not so sure about. But again, if the AHJ sees it your way, I think he has every right to make the call as he see's it.

kwired

Electron manager
Of course the install wouldn't have to take these possibilities into consideration. You don't have to assume its a place of assembly, and you don't have to make the install suitable for a swimming pool.

But the code does say receptacles have to meet the spacing requirements in rooms like kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, librarys, dens, sunrooms, bedrooms, recreation rooms, or similar rooms.

And I think part of that requirment may be because the CMP's realized room uses and furniture needs do change frequently.

I know we don't have to plan everything out for what might happen in the future. But you also can't just say "They won't need furniture or electric appliances in a basketball court." as an excuse to completely ignore a code rule.

Not making excuses to completely ignore any code rules. We are trying to decide which code rules apply.

The swimming pool that was mentioned is not really an option for this space without making some obviously major changes.

How many basketball courts do you see that also serve other purposes? Many do. They are nothing more than a large open space that can be used temporarily for a large variety of purposes. Even a half basketball court is pretty good size room or building for something on residential property.

kwired

Electron manager
Official NCAA court is 94' x 50'. It is likely desired to have at least three more feet of floor around the border of the court.

Even if you only have a half court that gives you a large enough space that many building codes will require this area to be constructed to prevent fire spread to or from this area and other areas, effectively making it a separate building.

If all of that happens I don't see how you call it a dwelling or even part of a dwelling. It is simply a separate space on a property that contains a dwelling.

If it has at least two hour separation from any other areas AHJ would even allow a separate service to supply this 'building' around here.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
One cannot peer into a crystal ball and determine what the occupant will REALLY do, nor can we prepare for EVERY contingency.

Nor can one ignore the circumstances specific to every situation.

Up at Tahoe, I have seen massive hotel-size homes with pro-grade handball courts, movie theaters, libraries, greenhouses, work shops, recording studios, wine cellars, and heaven alone knows what else. I have also seen 'garage-mahals' that were ultimate man-caves, with every creature comfort imaginable.

"Can" someone do something? Sure they can .... but at some point we need to get real. A basketball court, of 'pro' dimensions, isn't really well suited to conversion into much else. Who wants to hang a chandelier from the net hoop?

Only someone on the scene can make the call. There's a lot to be said for looking at things in context. The question is not whether a room can possibly be used as a 'habitable' room, but whether it is intended to be one by design.

Speak for your self. The Great Inspecto, knows all and sees all.:roll:

"I see a contractor, his lips are moving, that means he must be lying."

Status
Not open for further replies.