MWBC Controlled by One 2-Pole Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does the NEC permit a multipole, general-use snap switch as the means to control two, 120-volt switch legs that are supplied by a 120/240-volt multiwire branch circuit? Each switch leg will be supplied by one line of the multiwire branch circuit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Bill, a multipole switch would be fine for use on a MWBC, a MWBC is a single circuit.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Control? Yes. Disconnect? No. You still have to have a 2-pole breaker or handle ties, so that both legs would be turned off at the source, if you needed to do maintenance on either leg.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bill, a multipole switch would be fine for use on a MWBC, a MWBC is a single circuit.

Roger

Control? Yes. Disconnect? No. You still have to have a 2-pole breaker or handle ties, so that both legs would be turned off at the source, if you needed to do maintenance on either leg.

Thanks Roger & Charlie! I must make a confession. This was actually a "Gus type" question that I already knew the answer to. I saw it in a NEC newsletter that I get. I just thought it might be of help to someone that might need to know that. I also wanted to see if there would be conflicting answers. You both get an A+:D

Status
Not open for further replies.