Drilling of LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I doubt that any of the AHJs around here would allow that.

Why?

What is the safety issue?

If there is no safety issue it should be allowed, funky looking or different than what we are used to should not be justification for an inspector to not approve something.

swptln

IMHO it's wrong as for reasons previously stated. Very creative, but wrong. Why dont you use a pull box, that would have taken just bit longer.

(PS: your picture is gonna be on the bulliten board in my office, great conversation piece, no disrespect intended)

I agree, that LB is not intended for that use.

iwire

Staff member
Wouldn't using or applying an item for purposes other than it is approved for; be a violation of the listing itself? Example; using a ciruit breaker as a regular ON/OFF switch when it is not listed as such?

Would you mount terminal strips in an XJB, by drilling and tapping the wall?

As I pointed out.

ULs postion is it is up to the AHJ to determine if the modifications and use of the product are such that UL needs to do a field evaluation or the AHJ can certainly say no.

But in my personal opinon unless there is a safety issue I see no reason not to approve it.

I very rarely see specific labeling or instructions with enclosures or cabinets that say we may drill them at will yet we do that all the time with the blessing of the AHJ.

To reiterate my position, the AHJ certainly has the right to say no to this, but they are not required too, nor IMO should they.

As I pointed out.

ULs postion is it is up to the AHJ to determine if the modifications and use of the product are such that UL needs to do a field evaluation or the AHJ can certainly say no.

But in my personal opinon unless there is a safety issue I see no reason not to approve it.

I very rarely see specific labeling or instructions with enclosures or cabinets that say we may drill them at will yet we do that all the time with the blessing of the AHJ.

To reiterate my position, the AHJ certainly has the right to say no to this, but they are not required too, nor IMO should they.

It was somewhat of a trick question, but it illustrates that how easily important aspects of the listing is 'missed'.

An XJB refers to an Explosionproof junction box, and drilling and tapping the wall certainly would void the listing, as it weakens the wall of the box that is designed and tested to withstand an internal explosion, and no sane AHJ would override that.:roll::lol:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
It was somewhat of a trick question, but it illustrates that how easily important aspects of the listing is 'missed'.

An XJB refers to an Explosionproof junction box, and drilling and tapping the wall certainly would void the listing, as it weakens the wall of the box that is designed and tested to withstand an internal explosion, and no sane AHJ would override that.:roll::lol:

....its really not a trick question, a hack would drill out the side of an LB the same as a hack would drill and tap a XJB

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the dancing on the head of a pin that goes on over listing and manufacturer's instructions is often counterproductive.

There is no way that a manufacturer should limit the way their products can be safely modified in any practical way for a lot of items. A lot of people drill holes in boxes, conduits, LBs, etc., to let water drain out of conduit systems. Very common. Does the instruction sheet say you can do that? No. And it shouldn't. Does the instructions that come with conduit say it can be cut to length? How about painted? Or bent?

IIRC, the instructions for XP boxes have pretty explicit instructions about what can and cannot be done to them.

Just curious - why did LBs get delisted?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.