sinus filtrer in VFD circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why are we using 'Sinus Filters' in the VFD controled motor circuit?
Please explain.
Sinus refers to a Sine Wave, a smooth transition from zero to peak RMS to zero again. PWM drives output a series of DC pulses that are meant to SIMULATE a sine wave in terns of the effect on the motor speed and torque, but those pulses create significant stress on the motor winding insulation. A "Sinus Filter" will smooth out the PWM signal going to the motor to reduce those negative effects on the motor.

kwired

Electron manager
Are we talking about simple line reactors or something more complicated than that? Line reactors is all I have seen used for this purpose. Never heard the term sinus filter. Sounds like a medical term:).

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are we talking about simple line reactors or something more complicated than that? Line reactors is all I have seen used for this purpose. Never heard the term sinus filter. Sounds like a medical term:).
Line reactors would go on the line side to absorb harmonics, sinus filters would go on the load side. You can also use load reactors, a sinus (sine wave) filter is a little more complex and works better, but costs more.

TCI, MTE and Schaffner are the three big players in that here in the US, most of the VFD suppliers brand-label their products from one of these companies. They all provide white papers on their web sites

vinod

Line reactors would go on the line side to absorb harmonics, sinus filters would go on the load side. You can also use load reactors, a sinus (sine wave) filter is a little more complex and works better, but costs more.

This gives me more clarity on the usage of "Sinus filter"

Status
Not open for further replies.