Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have one FACP and it ssays to run (1)#8 to water main pipe(on street side). I know you sometimes ground to the water main with a clamp but what does street side mean. Where it enters the building and then on the outside? THanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have one FACP and it ssays to run (1)#8 to water main pipe(on street side). I know you sometimes ground to the water main with a clamp but what does street side mean. Where it enters the building and then on the outside? THanks.
I believe the reference to street side means on the supply side of the meter.

Does this grounding conductor establish a solid connection with the panel's EGC?

nhfire77

What model/brand is this panel?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks. Can't tell.
As far as I can tell, installation of this grounding conductor doesn't fall under the NEC other than being a manufacturer's installation requirement. If it is under the NEC, I cannot ascertain what type of grounding conductor it is to correctly apply NEC requirements.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
As far as I can tell, installation of this grounding conductor doesn't fall under the NEC other than being a manufacturer's installation requirement. If it is under the NEC, I cannot ascertain what type of grounding conductor it is to correctly apply NEC requirements.

I appreciate the help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like this is a NYC requirement. From what I remember the ground has to be in rigid conduit. Good luck trying to find out why it's required. :D

renosteinke

This actually sounds like the very reason that we are now required to have auxilliary grounding terminals on the outside of our service panels- so that things like this control panel have a place to run terminate their ground wires.

I'd downplay the instructions to ground to the water main; sure, you're also required for the water main to be one of your 'grounding electrodes,' but I would allow you to connect to anything in the 'grounding network.' What I would not allow is the -far too common- practice of the low voltage guy banging in his little, independent, ground rod. After all, ALL electrodes must be bonded together.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This actually sounds like the very reason that we are now required to have auxilliary grounding terminals on the outside of our service panels- so that things like this control panel have a place to run terminate their ground wires.

I'd downplay the instructions to ground to the water main; sure, you're also required for the water main to be one of your 'grounding electrodes,' but I would allow you to connect to anything in the 'grounding network.' What I would not allow is the -far too common- practice of the low voltage guy banging in his little, independent, ground rod. After all, ALL electrodes must be bonded together.

You know what, I actually saw a grounding drawing that had "ground studs" placed around the switchgear. Is this what you mean by ground terminals? What are thesse exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.