ROMEX ABOVE DROP CEILING TILES IN RESIDENTIAL APT.HALLWAYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
4 STORY APT. COMPLEX. UNITS CAN BE WIRED WITH ROMEX, BUT WHEN WE DO LIGHTING IN COMMON HALLWAYS, CAN WE STILL USE ROMEX OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE IN MC . THE HALLS WILL HAVE DROP CEILING GRID.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm inclined to say the hallways are not a residential unit so it would not meet the letter of the code. I've often wondered why the change was made a few code cycles ago to prohibit NM above suspended ceilings in non-residential. I've heard some AHJ's still allow it as they don't see it as a hazard.

kwired

Electron manager
If structural ceiling is framed and sheetrocked you could use nm cable within framing, you just can't use it to drop to anything mounted on the suspended ceiling. Put outlet box on structural ceiling and drop flex or MC to lights if that is the case.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Well we did an assisting living facilty in Decatur Il. and inspector allowed it saying it was ok, since living units had kitchen cooking facilites it was residential and hallways were allowed to be in romex above suspending ceilings in outside common hallways. Then we did a hotel in another close town and it wasn't allowed . Really don't know where the change comes in. Maybe because hotel had no cooking in units. We did wire hotel units in romex thou.

kwired

Electron manager
Well we did an assisting living facilty in Decatur Il. and inspector allowed it saying it was ok, since living units had kitchen cooking facilites it was residential and hallways were allowed to be in romex above suspending ceilings in outside common hallways. Then we did a hotel in another close town and it wasn't allowed . Really don't know where the change comes in. Maybe because hotel had no cooking in units. We did wire hotel units in romex thou.

I think inspector was wrong.

Art 100
Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation

Each tenant unit may qualifiy as a dwelling unit. The rest of the facility is not a dwelling unit.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I think inspector was wrong.

Art 100

Each tenant unit may qualifiy as a dwelling unit. The rest of the facility is not a dwelling unit.
Could this not be considered a multi-family dwelling?

Art100 Dwelling, Multifamily. A building that contains three or
more dwelling units.

334.12(A)(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other
than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

Edit to add: I am referring to the OP's apt building.... It's it a multi-family dwelling thus allowing the install of romex above the ceiling in the hall way?

kwired

Electron manager
Could this not be considered a multi-family dwelling?

Art100 Dwelling, Multifamily. A building that contains three or
more dwelling units.

334.12(A)(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other
than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

Edit to add: I am referring to the OP's apt building.... It's it a multi-family dwelling thus allowing the install of romex above the ceiling in the hall way?

Hallways in buildings like this are usually considered egress areas. I am guessing they will have at least 1 hour fire rating between the hallway and any dwelling spaces and AHJ will not consider the hallway as part of any dwelling space. Same with any central kitchen, central laundry, dining room, or other so called community spaces in this facility.

I had one of these places where some recessed compact fluorescent lighting was installed in the hallway. Place was inspected and approved. A few months later an almost identical facility was being built in another town. Fire inspector disapproved same fixture in the newer facility while it was still in construction stage because it was an open housing type fixture and would not restrict smoke migration through the fixture. Problem was he remembered the first facility had same fixture and he came back and told them they had to change them, after they had been open for nearly a year.

John120/240

Problem was he remembered the first facility had same fixture and he came back and told them they had to change them, after they had been open for nearly a year.

Been open for a year & have to change light fixtures, on whose dime ? That

just doesn't seem right. I had a new septic system installed & the inspector

sends a letter six years later " We need to do a final inspection "

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Hallways in buildings like this are usually considered egress areas. I am guessing they will have at least 1 hour fire rating between the hallway and any dwelling spaces and AHJ will not consider the hallway as part of any dwelling space.

I don't see anything in the NEC about 'dwelling space' and I would disagree with the AHJ in this case. The code says the building that contains the dwelling units... IMHO this would include the entire building and don't see any indication otherwise.

Having said that the AHJ basically does whatever he wants so it is what it is.

kwired

Electron manager
Been open for a year & have to change light fixtures, on whose dime ? That

just doesn't seem right. I had a new septic system installed & the inspector

sends a letter six years later " We need to do a final inspection "

I did not do the initial installation but was called because they were looking for solutions. I am glad I did not get further involved, but did learn what all went on to some extent from facility general manager at the time.

Fire Marshal did allow them to put a lens in the fixture which they made out of plexiglass. This appeared to be all OK until the summer heat hit the next year. Then they kept having ballast failures, presumably from lack of air flow along with higher ambient temperature in the space above ceiling.

They tried to get the original contractor, the fixture supplier, the designer, anybody that had anything to do with it involved. I decided I should just leave that one alone. I don't know how that problem ever got resolved.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see anything in the NEC about 'dwelling space' and I would disagree with the AHJ in this case. The code says the building that contains the dwelling units... IMHO this would include the entire building and don't see any indication otherwise.

Having said that the AHJ basically does whatever he wants so it is what it is.

So what type of occupancy is a large hotel that has guest rooms that also qualify as dwelling units, has swimming pool, restaurant, lounge, exercise/fitness rooms, offices, conference rooms, convention center, houskeeping and laundry, and who knows what else?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So what type of occupancy is a large hotel that has guest rooms that also qualify as dwelling units, has swimming pool, restaurant, lounge, exercise/fitness rooms, offices, conference rooms, convention center, houskeeping and laundry, and who knows what else?

Expensive!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.